This Cauliflower & Potato Casserole is outstanding! Potatoes & Cauliflower are a great combo & come together in this dish beautifullyContinue reading “Cauliflower & Potato Casserole”
IChicken with Coconut Milk .. very flavourful and easy!Continue reading “Chicken with Coconut Milk”
I just love Hummus with Spiced Beef. The first time I had this was in a Middle Eastern restaurant so I jumped at the chance to make it at home when I saw this recipe! It was delicious!Continue reading “Hummus with Spiced Beef”
I love this Corn Flake Baked Chicken recipe. It is crispy from the oven, not fried & you can use whatever chicken pieces you like!Continue reading “Corn Flake Baked Chicken”
Norene Gilletz was a friend of mine who passed away 3 years ago. She was a successful cook book author whose recipes are used over a& over by many home cooks!Continue reading “In Memory of Norene Gilletz here are some of her Recipes”
When I don’t know what to make for dinner I go back to this comforting recipe for Janes’s Tuna Noodle Casserole.Continue reading “Jane’s Tuna Casserole”
- Sauté the onion & garlic in the 2 tbsp of olive oil until translucent of course it started to brown…which is ok!!
- Add the celery & continue to sauté until the celery starts to cook & becomes translucent
- Put the yellow pepper & zucchini in the pan, mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the rest of the ingredients & mix well
- Bring to a boil & then reduce thereat so that the chili is simmering with a medium bubble
- Cover & simmer for about an hour, stirring often
This one pot pasta is really quick & a perfect solution for dinner if you just don’t know what to have, you are starving & want to eat soon!!! This really does not take long from start to finish!Continue reading “One Pot Pasta With Fresh Tomatoes”
I LOVE Korean BBQ Fried Chicken so making it at home with a delicious recipe is great!Continue reading “Korean BBQ Fried Chicken”
These three recipes are simple to make & the ingredients are easy to find which make them the perfect weekday dinner!
The Tenen Family Meatloaf was a recipe our family ate often when I was growing up. With the addition of ketchup, which was my moms’ favourite ingredient in just about everything she cooked, it is very flavourful!
Pineapple Meatballs is a recipe that is so delish! Saucy, sweet & tangy these meatballs are so good served over rice or quinoa is great!
Beef & Cornbread Skillet Pie is similar to Shepherd’s Pie, The ground beef is cooked with some vegetables then topped with a delicious cornbread which bakes up crunchy on top & tender inside.
All three of these recipes are great as left-overs too!
Delicious moist meat loaf!
This recipe is from a friend of mine. She gave me this recipe for Pineapple Meatballs over 30 years ago when I lived in Yellowknife NWT!The recipe is written on a small piece of paper with kind of cryptic instructions but I have figured it out & they are delicious ! The meatballs are cooked…
This is an old recipe I used to make when I lived in Yellowknife. It is similar to a Shepard’s Pie I suppose, but with a cornbread top instead of mashed potatoes. Beef & Cornbread Skillet Pie I made this in a cast iron skillet but if you don’t have one, use a skillet that is…
I have started a newsletter on Substack. Here is the link if you would like to have a look at it!
This Ground Beef Taco recipe makes a delicious quick dinner! No-fuss, one pan & easy to make!
The recipe is from BonAppetit.com…. here is the link to the original recipe… I changed it a bit but not too much.
It is a really simple recipe. Some diced onions are sautéed…some spices are added, then ground beef…cooked until done… some tomatoes, black beans & corn…. almost a chilli but not quite!
My local Italian store has some really nice tortillas..this time I used small corn & wheat ones.
Top these tacos with some avocado & we used hot sauce & salsa!
Easily adapted to your taste..if you don’t want to add black beans..use kidney beans instead. or just leave the beans out if you do not like beans! I love the corn in this recipe, corn adds a nice sweet flavour here.
You can always top these with shredded cheddar cheese if you want or even replace the ground beef with vegan ground round!
Here is the recipe
1 – 2 tbsp oil
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
red pepper flakes… I just put a shake of the jar in…use a s much as you like depending on how ‘hot’ you like your food! you can always spice this up by adding hot sauce when serving
salt & pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1 pound of ground beef
1 can of black beans…15 oz can , rinsed
12 cherry tomato..or more i you like, cut in quarters
1 cup of frozen corn… you can thaw this but I did not, I just added the frozen corn & cooked it long enough so that it was not frozen any more!
1/2 cup water
12 small tortillas
1 avocado, finely chopped or mashed if you prefer
chopped cilantro if you like it
- Heat the oil in a large skillet
- Add the chopped onions & cook until lightly browned
- Add the garlic, cook for a minute or so
- Now, add the red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, chilli powder, cumin & paprika. Mix well
- Add the ground beef breaking up any lumps. mix it well with the other ingredients so that all of the meat is coated with the spices/onion mixture
- Cook until the beef is completely cooked
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, corn & water. Mix to combine all of the ingredients
- Stir often & simmer until the tomatoes are soft, the corn is defrosted & the water has reduced down
- I removed the meat mixture to a bowl & wiped out the skillet, then I warmed up the tortllas in the skillet before serving them
- Top the tortilla with some meat mixture, avocado, salsa etc…
I just think that sometimes a Simple Roast Chicken is one of the most delicious ways to eat chicken! This is a one pan dinner! The chicken is roasted with potatoes & vegetables!
The smell of the roasting chicken fills the house up and whenever I make this, my family walks in and always comments “that smells delicious’
You can always adjust this to your liking. I have added onions, carrots, parsnips & sweet potato to the roasting pan. You can use the vegetables that you like. Many times I add white potatoes instead of sweet potato & eliminate the parsnips. This is also delicious without any vegetables!
The trick to a delicious roast chicken is to Baste, Baste, Baste with the pan juices! If you don’t baste the chicken often then the skin is dry. IF you do not have a basting tool, use a large spoon… just gather up some of the pan juices & pour them all over the chicken and over the veg as well!
1 3 lb whole chicken, defrosted if it was frozen!
1 1/2 tbsp Seasoned Salt
1 tbsp paprika (approximately)
2 tbsp oil, I like to use a neutral oil here but you can use olive oil if you prefer
1 whole onion, sliced
3 carrots cut into 2 inch chunks, if thick cut them lengthwise as well
3 parsnips cut into 2 inch chunks, cut the thick end in half lengthwise
1 sweet potato
*** the amount of carrots, parsnips and potatoes depends on how many people you are serving. If you don’t like sweet potatoes leave them out or add white potatoes
1 Put the chicken into a roasting pan, the size of the pan depends on how many vegetables you are adding to the roaster pan. like my vegetables close to the chicken, not too spread out so I use a pan that allows that
2 Sprinkle the seasoned salt all over the chicken
3 Sprinkle the paprika on the chicken
3. Drizzle the oil over the chicken then rub it all over…The oil mixes with the spices beautifully and I make sure I rub it everywhere, lifting the chicken so I get the thighs as well .
4. Put the cut up onions, carrots, parsnips and potatoes around the chicken . I put a bit of paprika & oil on the vegetables & mix it around so all the veg get oiled & seasoned
5. Roast at 375F until chicken is fully cooked & the vegetables & potatoes are soft. Baste often & if your pan gets too dry after an hour or so, add some water. ( no more than 1 cup) The chicken releases liquid while it roasts so wait that hour before deciding whether to put some water in or not. If your chicken has a lot of fat there will be more liquid in your roaster pan but if the chicken is very lean there might not be and then you should add water so you have a bit of drippings for you to baste the chicken with
I like to pour some of the drippings on the chicken at serving time and the vegetables as well.