This is an old recipe I used to make when I lived in Yellowknife. It is kind of like a Shepard’s Pie I suppose, but with a cornbread top instead of mashed potatoes. I made this in a cast iron skillet but if you don’t have one, use a skillet that is oven proof or cook the meat in a frying pan, mix in the vegetables and then put everything into a deep casserole dish that will accommodate the recipe.. a pie pan is too shallow, and a square baking pan is too small as well. A 2L 8 x 10 rectangle Pyrex dish will work. Serve with some salsa, sour cream & quacamole!
Here is the recipe
Beef & Cornbread Skillet Pie
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef
2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables ***you can use any small precooked vegetable you’d like here..niblets, peas, etc
1 tsp chilli powder ***or to your taste
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of grated cheese ( if you like it cheesy, add more!) ***optional
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup creamed corn
- In an oven proof skillet ( if you have one) Saute onion until soft
- Add the ground beef and brown until throughly cooked. Break up the meat with your spoon so there aren’t any large chunks of ground beef…
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables and spices. Mix and heat through
- Make the cornbread topping..Beat the eggs, add the cornmeal, milk, oil, baking soda and creamed corn. Mix well
- If you have browned the meat in an oven-proof skillet, spread the meat mixture out evenly in the pan and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the meat, then por the cornbread tiopping all over the meat mixture. If you are not using an oven-proof skillit, remove the meat mixture from the fry pan and put into a casserole dish, top with the cornbread topping then bake.
- Bake at 375F for 50 to 60 minutes until the cornbread is cooked
*** There is not any grated cheese in any of the pictures because I didn’t add it!