This post was first published in 2017.. I have updated the pictures so am reposting it!
I know I know ! You think that making buns at home is hard and time-consuming.
That can be true to some extent…not hard but time consuming, waiting for the dough to rise a couple of times..and the tough question for novice bread makers is …”have I kneaded these enough?’ Or at least that was always my question!!
Well, this recipe is a no knead recipe. It has to rise a couple times, 45 minutes the first time and then 30 minutes after that but pretty easy to put together while the rest of dinner is being prepared…or making them for lunches…or anytime..for anything! These are baked in muffin tins..adding to the ease of this recipe.
I have made these dairy free..the original recipe calls for milk & butter…your choice. The original recipe comes from my friend Karen Marshall.
Here is the recipe ***I have written the recipe out with my changes and the original ingredients in brackets!
1 cup warm water, not hot (milk)
1 pkg yeast ***which is 2 1/4 tsp
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp oil (very soft butter)
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups of flour *** I used white flour
- Put the warm water into a large bowl ***if the bowl is cold put some hot water into the bowl, swirl it around, then dump it out and dry the bowl , this warms the bowl and helps the yeast* dissolve the sugar into the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top of the water. Let stand for 5 minutes. ***if your countertop is cold, wet a dishtowel with warm water, wring it out, and place the bowl on top of the warm towel*** After 5 minutes your yeast should be nice and foamy. Stir well
- Add the oil, 2 tbsp oil, salt and egg to the yeast mixture
- Mix until well blended. This can be done by hand, with a hand mixer or in a mix- master ***I did it by hand -with the oil it was easy to mix together I think if you use the butter you should use a mixer of some kind
- Add 2 cups of flour. Mix well. ***This bread dough will be very soft!! It is supposed to be to so don’t add more flour!
- Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. *** I have a bread proof function in my oven so I used that. If you don’t have that, a friend of mine got a tip from her sister and it is a good one. Put your covered bowl with the bread dough into the microwave with 1 cup of boiling water in a measuring cup beside it and just let it sit in there..DO NOT TURN THE MICROWAVE ON!
- Meanwhile, grease a 12 muffin pan
- After the 45 minutes, stir down the batter. It will be very soft
- Fill the greased muffin cups with approx 1/4 c of batter, just a bit more then half of the muffin cup
- Let rise in a warm spot until the cups are full. Approx 30 minutes ***this can depend on how warm your kitchen is… At this time, pre-heat your oven to 400F
- Bake 15-20 minutes