Potato Leek Soup.. one of our favourite soups especially in the fall! It does not take long to make & is a great soup for fall & winter!
I have adapted this recipe from Chatelaine Magazine. I don’t remember when I started making this soup but it has been many years. I have a ripped out piece of paper from the magazine… & no date…so I am not sure when the recipe is from!!
There is an option to make this soup with cream but I never have. I like to make it vegan/parve. I make this Potato Leek Soup parve… which is not vegan…since parve food can have eggs & honey in it, but there is not any meat products or dairy products in parve food… but this soup fits both criteria…vegan & parve
It is simple to make & cooks for about an 40-60 minutes or so… I like to let it simmer until everything looks soft & can be easily pureed…
Note: This soup gets thick in the fridge so I always add a bit of water just to thin it out before warming it up to eat…too much water will dilute the taste so just use a bit!
Here is the recipe
3 large potatoes ***I used russet but it does not matter what kind of potatoes you use *** you need about 4 cups of chopped potato
3 stalks of celery
2 large carrots
2 tbsp oil…you can use any oil here that you like to use
6 – 8 cups vegetable stock *** I only had 4 cups of vegetable broth so I added 2 cups of water,,,
salt & pepper
optional to garnish… crispy onions… dill
- Prepare the vegetables …Cut the dark green parts off the leeks & throw away….. slice the white part of the leeks down the middle. Submerge these in a bowl of water & wash them.. than shake off the water. Cut the washed white part of the leeks into 1/2 inch slices… set aside… I put them into a bowl
- Chop the onion & add to the bowl with the leeks
- Peel & chop the potatoes…set aside…I put them into another bowl
- Chop the celery & carrots & add them to the bowl of potatoes
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil
- To the pot, add the prepared leeks & onions, sauté until soft, stirring often. This can take about 10 minutes depending on the size you cut the leeks & onions
- Now, add the potatoes,, celery & carrots to the leeks & onions, stir to mix it all together
- Pour 6 cups of vegetable stock into the pot, mix well
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat, cover & simmer the soup until all of the vegetables are tender… 30 – 60 minutes.. I found at 30 minutes the vegetables were not ready to puree so I continued to cook the soup until the vegetables were soft
- Puree the vegetables with an immersion blender..or if you don’t have one of those, you can puree the soup in a blender or food processor.. you will have to do this in a few batches I think, putting the pureed soup into a different pot then the pot you made the soup in..
- When the soup is pureed, it is very thick so if you want your soup thinner, add more broth..a cup at a time, stir until your soup is the consistency you want it to be. Warm the soup through before serving
- Season to taste
- I garnished the soup with some crispy onions.. I used French’s Crispy Fried Onions & sprinkled some dill on…but you can eat this soup ungarnished as well!!
One thought on “Potato Leek Soup”
Glorious hot soup weather is upon us!
You must log in to post a comment.