This recipe for an Apple Caramel Cake is from Robin Hood Flour…the paper the recipe is on is tattered so I have no idea when I found this recipe in a. magazine ….but… I have always thought about making this cake & it is a good thing I did because it is delish!
The other side of the paper is the recipe for Pineapple Banana Loaf which is moist & really nice. I often make banana loaves/cakes because we never seem to eat all the bananas I buy… but maybe I buy too many bananas on purpose so I have over-ripe ones to bake with!?
But, getting back to this cake. When we picked the apples from the tree in our yard this year, we cut them up & froze them in 2 cup portions so it would be easy to do something with them throughout the year. This cake was a prefect reason to use some of those apples…butof course you can use fresh apples!
A simple cake to make..baked in a 9 x13 pan it can feed a crowd nicely. It bakes up with kind of dimples on the top… this is where some Skor chips melted during baking which results in this cake not being the most beautiful but those little dimples of Skor are yummy!
I made one small change to the recipe… replacing the sour cream with plain yogurt. I didn’t even use greek yogurt, just used plain Yoplait yogurt. The cake is really moist so it was a good change.
Next time you are grocery shopping pick up a bag of Skor chips to have ready when you want to make this cake!
Here is the recipe from Robin Hood Flour… the name of the recipe is Caramel Apple Cake if you want to look it up
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt ( or sour cream)
2 cups diced apples
1/2 pkg Skor chips
1/3 cup flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup Skor chips
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan or baking dish…
- Cream the butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla in the bowl of a mixer until well combined & light in texture
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt together ( i just add the bp, bs, & salt to the flour in a bowl & use a fork or whisk to combine)
- Add the flour & yogurt to the egg mixture alternately… so flour, yogurt, flour, yogurt, flour mixing well after each addition.. (this makes a light textured cake )
- Remove the bowl from the mixer & fold in the diced apples & score chips
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish
- Mix the topping
- Mix the topping ingredients until crumbly… i use a fork then usually my fingers…
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake batter
Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until throughly cooked… test with a toothpick or cake tester… it is cooked when the tester comes our dry