When I don’t know what to make for dinner I go back to this comforting recipe for Janes’s Tuna Noodle Casserole.
Noodles, tuna, cheese, mushroom soup, peas, celery…a winning combination! Oh, and how could I not mention the added cheese and the melted cheese on top! While the noodles were cooking, I was getting the other ingredients ready. Combine it all and that’s it! The directions in this recipe called for it being made in the microwave but I used the stove top and the oven . Really just as quick so I think it is up to you! Pretty simple and comforting, this comes together very quickly. My friend Jane gave me this recipe and we are glad she did!
Jane’s Tuna Casserole
1 cup frozen peas
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
1 tbsp oil
1 10 oz of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 of the soup can of milk
1 can tuna , drained and flaked
4 cups cooked macaroni ( 2 cups uncooked) ***I used a 1/2 bag of thick egg noodles
2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided ***1 cup goes in the casserole, 1 cup goes on top
- Cook the macaroni/noodles
- Spray a casserole dish ***I used a square casserole and it fit perfectly
- In a medium-sized saucepan, saute the celery in the oil just until soft ***I did not let the celery brown
- To the celery ( in the saucepan) add the peas, the mushroom soup & 1/2 the can of milk. Mix and warm through
- Add the tuna and mix well
- Next add the cooked pasta and the cheese, mixing so that it is throughly combined
- Put the noodle mixture into the greased casserole dish
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of grated cheddar all over the top of the casserole
- Bake at 350F for 35`40 minutes until hot & bubbly and the cheese is melted nicely
Serve with a nice salad alongside!