Another Instant Pot recipe that you can make in the oven if you do not have an Instant Pot! This pot roast recipe is from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen. It is very different from the usual pot roast recipe that I make so a really nice change for Murray!!!
A few points about making this in the Instant Pot… I usually make a pot roast in my slow cooker which I have now gotten rid of since the Instant Pot took the spot in the cupboard where the slow cooker was…I don’t have a ton of room to store big appliances! I want to use my Instant Pot so I am going to be trying lots of recipes. But all of them will be able to be adapted to an oven! It will just take longer to cook it!
So, I think my roast was still frozen in the middle because the outside was cooked through but the inside was raw…so I put the roast, vegetables & all of the juice from the Instant Pot into a casserole dish & put it all in the oven to finish cooking. I put the oven on 325f & just left it in there for an hour.. When I took the meat out of the Instant Pot it was not very tender, but from the oven it was so soft. My best guess is that it just did not finish cooking in the Instant Pot…because my pickled brisket that I made in it was the most tender meat we have had! I will make sure that my roasts are completely defrosted,. I read up on it & found out that this is what happens to big roasts if they are not defrosted….so it was my error. I anticipate some not-so-perfect meals coming out of that pot until I actually understand how to adjust the cooking times for weights of meat etc…The recipe is delicious, the flavour is very good.
I did not change anything in the recipe, which I usually do… but this recipe just sounded good as is! & I had all of the ingredients..
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE YOUR INSTANT POT PROPERLY BEFORE YOU USE IT
Here is the recipe, from Tasting Table
1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated
1/3 cup boiling water
2 tbsp oil…
4 – 4 1/2 pound chuck roast
Koser salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled & chopped ( roughly chop the carrots)
2 celery stalks, chopped ( roughly chop the celery)
2 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 onion, peeled & chopped
2 cups beef stock *** I actually did not have beef stock but use any stock or bouillon cubes in water… or water if you don’t have anything else
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- The dried porcini mushrooms need to be rehydrated… so in a heatproof bowl, put the mushrooms in the bowl & cover with the bowling water… Let them soak in the water while you are preparing the other food.
- Now we are going to sear the roast, so take a heavy=bottomed pot..add the oil & heat it up. Season the roast all over with salt & pepper, & sear it all over, turning as needed until the roast is seared on all sides… Transfer the seared roast to the bowl of the Instant Pot
- In the pot that you seared the roast in, add the tomato paste, garlic, carrots,celery, thyme, bay leaves & onion. Cook the vegetables until they are softened & the tomato paste begins to caramelize…it takes about 5 minutes… Stir the vegetables often to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot
- Add the vegetables to the roast in the Instant Pot
- Put the stock & red wine vinegar into the pan you cooked the vegetables in to deglaze the pan…
- Pour the stock over the chuck roast & vegetables in the Instant Pot
- Add the porcini mushrooms & the soaking liquid to the Instant Pot
- Close the lid according to the manufacturers instructions & cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot depressurize, & carefully remove the lid
- Serve the meat with the vegetables & juice from the pot
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN INSTANT POT, FOLLOW THE RECIPE & USE A ROASTING PAN, COOK IN THE OVEN AT 325F FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS UNTIL THE MEAT IS FORK TENDER
Note::: I served this pot roast with kasha…I just made it according to the package instructions