There are so many recipes for Hummus & so many options to buy it ready-made in the grocery stores. But..I like making it myself. It is fast, easy & I can have it on a whim. I started making my own over 25 years ago and have come up with a recipe that we love. Lemony & smooth.If you don’t like yours lemony, just add the lemon juice gradually and taste as you go! Eat it with pita, fresh or baked, crackers, vegetables, on toast or just with a spoon! I toasted some pita in the oven which I had frozen when we had too much one time and it is great!
Here is my recipe for Hummus
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed *** some people peel them to get a smoother hummus but I never want to spend the time doing that!
1 tsp garlic paste ***or 1 clove of garlic minced
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice *** juice from a whole smallish lemon
1 tsp Kosher salt ***regular table salt is fine
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 heaping tbsp Tahini paste
2 Tbsp water
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor and process until they are smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides *** be careful not to cut the spatula on the blade..I have done that many times!
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve in a bowl with a bit of olive oil drizzled on top if you would like!
Baked Pita Chips
Preheat oven to 400F ***I just turned my oven on while I was preparing the pitas, so it wasn’t quite at 400 degrees yet
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
I pkg of large pita pockets
- Split pitas in half
- Using a pastry brush, brush on some olive oil all over the inside part of the spit pitas
- Sprinkle with kosher salt & any herbs you might like. I like house salt only & some dried partly flakes
- Cut the pitas in triangles…cut in half then half again…or once more to make smaller triangles if you prefer
- Place the triangles on a lined baking sheet, not layered. & put into the oven
- Check after 5 minutes and keep your eye on them as they can burn quickly.
5 thoughts on “Hummus & Baked Pita Chips”
Great recipe for a classic snack! I love all of your pictures of the cooking process. Looking forward to following! –Deb
Thank you so much!!! Let me know if you make anything and what you think !!
[…] Some Hummous….my friends like hummous […]
[…] I made the hummus, click here for that […]
[…] to do & I loved it. Here is that recipe … Home-made pita & I made the hummus, click here for that recipe. You a buy the pita & the hummus! Just make the beef! Quick & so […]
You must log in to post a comment.