This is a recipe for the Instant Pot but you can cook it on the stove if you don’t have an Instant Pot. And if you follow this blog…it seems that I go through a lot of coconut milk…so stock up!
I am loving my Instant Pot. ..this dinner came together so quickly. The flavour was subtle, the texture of the dish was comforting…soft rice & shredded chicken mixed in… I like chicken & rice … I usually make one with onion soup…and one with paprika….both made in casserole dishes in the oven…now there is this one…& it might become one of my favourite quick dinners. Note..if you like your rice ‘dry’ & the rice kernels separate from each other, know that this dish isn’t like that. My advise? Give this a try because it is really good…& if the rice isn’t what you like..then maybe next time just make the chicken in the Instant Pot, cook your rice separately on the stove while the chicken is cooking…& then spoon the sauce overtop when you eat this!
The recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs but I am pretty sure you can use boneless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts… the cooking time is most likely the same but I think you should check in your manual for the cooking time for the different types of chicken
I sautéed some bok choy in a frying pan on the stove & we had it with the chicken & rice….
The recipe is from epicurious …SPICED COCONUT CHICKEN AND RICE
I had all of the ingredients on hand so I did not change anything…except…I used jarred ginger & garlic…& I did not use as much garlic as they called for in the recipe…I don’t like tons of garlic..so I guess I changed this recipe a bit…
Here is the recipe ( as I made it )
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, cur intro 1/4 inch slices
2 tsp minced ginger *** you can used fresh ginger, grate it
1 tsp minced garlic *** you can use 1 or 2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 pounds ( 4 large ) bone-in chicken thighs
Salt & pepper
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 1/3 cup jasmine rice…rinse the rice
2 Tbsp cilantro….take the leaves off the stems & KEEP THE STEMS….I USUALLY JUST THROW THESE AWAY BUT THEY ARE USED HERE
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 lime…cut in half
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté, add the oil
- Sauté the cut onion for a couple minutes, stir so the onion does not stick to the bottom of the pot
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry powder & turmeric powder… stir it all together & cook it for about a minute
- Add the chicken to the Instant Pot, season with salt & pepper.
- Add the coconut milk & water
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot as per the manual for your pot
- Select the Manual setting, high pressure & set the time for 15 minutes…the recipe says to set the time for 13 minutes, but I always like to overcook my chicken….ha
- When the chicken is finished cooking .. use a quick release.. but be careful …use tongs to turn the valve..or oven mitts…do not put your face near this…the steam is hot.
- Once the pressure has been released, remove the lid…
- Put the chicken on a plate & set aside
- Add the rice, cilantro stems & sugar to the Instant Pot
- Put the lid back on the Instant Pot, select manual, high pressure, set the time to 4 minutes
- While the rice is cooking, take the chicken meat off the bones & set aside… discard the bones
- When the rice is cooked, push cancel & let it naturally release for 10 minutes & then release the rest of the steam manually…take the lid off.
- Add the chicken meat to the pot, squeeze in half a lime & add most of the cilantro leaves …keep a few aside to garnish this with when you serve it
- Stir, season with salt & pepper
- Serve the cilantro leaves & squeeze some lime on if you want