This recipe, Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew, is the Oh She Glows ‘ Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew ‘ I have just made a couple small changes to her recipe!
I love this vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew. A beautiful mixture of ingredients that results in a dish that is comforting & delicious!
I have made this before but did not post it. I decided to now since I really do like it. It is great for dinner over rice or on its own & then the leftovers are perfect for lunch !
The dish seems like soup at the beginning but I like it to allow it to cook down & thicken up.. So that is one of the changes I have made to the original recipe. Also, I add a bit of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, used garlic powder instead of fresh & tossed in some frozen cauliflower toward the end of the cooking time with the kale, I used frozen kale. After adding the cauliflower & kale I cooked it for another 15-20 minutes until it was the consistency I like.
This is a delicious vegan meal full of healthy ingredients.
1 tbsp neutral oil
1 onion, chopped
1 orange pepper, seeded & diced *** you can used any colour pepper you like!
2 small sweet potato, peeled & diced
1 can ( 28 oz) diced tomatoes including the juice
1/3 cup peanut butter, natural if you have it but I used regular peanut butter
1 tsp garlic powder
1 – 2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar or more to taste
1 tsp salt or to taste
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
2 cups frozen cauliflower florets
2 cups frozen chopped kale *** or spinach
Cilantro for serving if you want!
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven , heat the oil & sauté the chopped onion until it is translucent
- Add the diced orange pepper, sweet potato & the can of diced tomatoes, Give this good stir. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring as needed
- Mix the peanut butter with a cup of vegetable broth & set aside
- Next, the spices & sugar get added to the pot, stir . Cook for about 10 minites
- Now, add the vegetable broth & the peanut butter/broth mixture. Stir, Cover the pot & let this cook for abut 20 minutes
- The chickpeas are added next & I let this cook down a bit to reduce the liquid approx another 20 minutes. You can keep this as a soup if you like but we like it thicker.
- The cauliflower & kale are added, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a strong simmer & cook for another 20-3- minutes
- Taste & adjust the seasonings
You can serve this over rice & garnish with some cilantro if you like
Here is a video!
4 thoughts on “Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew”
This looks really tasty Marilyn! Perfect for a chilly Vermont afternoon.
Are you in Vermont?
Indeed I am! Southern Vermont.
[…] Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew — Marilyn Dishes […]
You must log in to post a comment.