I first posted this recipe for Cheddar Cheese Puff n 2017! I used to make this wonderful dish whenever we would have company over for brunch. Sometimes I would make it for pot-luck dinners…it is great on a buffet table. Eggy, Cheesy, Crisp around the edges, this is so good you will ba making it often!
The recipe is from Norene Gilletz z’l who was my guru! It is in one of her many cookbooks, THE PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR… my book is very tattered but I love it! My definite go-to cookbook!
Made in the food processor so it is very quick to put together. It can be prepared the night before you want to serve it then pop it into a preheated oven & bake for about an hour. Or, alternately prepare it about 30 minutes before baking. Either way this is is delicious!
****I know there are limits to in-home guests now but I like to think that sometime that will change so here are a few recipes that I like to add to a buffet table. Also, I like to still have the favourite foods that Murray & I like so I will make this Cheddar Cheese Puff for us as a side with some baked salmon and a salad!
When I have a buffet table here are some of the other dishes that I like to have on it : Antipasto , Canned Tuna with Curry , Smoked Salmon Spread , Hashbrown Casserole, any salad from this blog, I like them all! These are just a few suggestions!n If it is for dinner then I add a cooked salmon with this rub Spice Rub for Salmon . Whatever your favourite dishes are
Cheddar Cheese Puff
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
6 slices of white or whole-wheat bread
3 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
2 cup milk
This recipe is prepared in the food processor, but this time I made it without using the processor in case some of you do not have one! Here is the method to make it by hand & with the food processor instructions as well
Grease a 7 x 11 baking dish
- Tear the bread into small bite size pieces & put into a large mixing bowl *** alternately you can process the bread & make bread crumbs….
- Add the grated cheese to the bread crumbs & mix to combine
- Put the bread & cheese into the prepared baking dish
- Drizzle the melted butter overtop of the bread/cheese mixture
- In a bowl big enough to hold the eggs & milk…beat the eggs *** You can mix the eggs, spices & milk together in the food processor if you want
- Add the salt, pepper, & dry mustard. Mix well
- Add the milk & mix together
- Pour over the bread/cheese
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 24 ours!
- Bake in a 350f oven covered for 30 minutes. *** This puffs up during baking but deflates as it cools
- Uncover & continue baking for 30 more minutes brown