With the abundance of apples at this time of year & the Jewish New Year approaching, baking an apple cake seems like a very good idea. There are so many great apple cake recipes… this cake is the one my mom used to make. Diced apples are layered between a simple white cake.
Our neighbours has a crab apple tree in their yard & some of the branches reach over our fence. This is great for us…except when when we have to pick the fallen ones up off our patio…but we did manage to pick some & I used them in this cake. Mixed with a couple of apples from British Colombia that we bought at a store. It turned out to be a good mix of apples!
Here is the recipe
5-6 apples…enough to make 4 cups of cut up apples *** the recipe calls for tart apples, I use whatever I have usually!
5 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup orange juice *** Alternately 1/4 cup water + 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350f Grease a tube pan *** I sprayed my pan with non-stick spray
- Cut up the apples into small pieces & measure 4 cups.
- Toss the apples with the sugar & cinnamon & set aside, this year (2018) I added some raisins to the apples
- In a mix master…mix the oil & sugar together , then add the eggs, mix well
- Combine the flour with the baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture & the orange juice alternately to the oil/sugar & egg mixture, mixing until the batter is smooth
- Put 1/3 of the batter into the prepared tube pan, then 1/2 of the apples evenly over the batter, try not to let the apples touch the outside of the baking pan…then put the second 1/3 of the batter over the apples…the best way to do this is to use a spoon & drip spoonfuls of the batter around the cake pan over the apples, then use the spoon to gently spread out the batter….Next put the remaining apples evenly over the 2nd layer of cake batter …finally, put the last of the batter over the apples the same way that you did before! All the apples should be covered with cake batter
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours ***In my oven it actually takes 1 1/2 hours exactly…as with anything, watch the cake so you don’t under or over-bake it
- Remove the cake from the oven & let sit on a wire rack in the pan for about 15 minutes
- Turn the cake out on the wire rack & cool completely
- This cake freezes really well