My friend Pnina has given me recipes over the years but this year she gave me 2 new ones to try! The first one is this delicious & simple baked eggplant casserole.
I am not sure where Pnina got this recipe from but I am glad she has shared it with me! I called it a casserole because a baked eggplant dish implies that the eggplant is sliced, or layered with cheese or meat etc. This dish is all eggplant…mixed with some delicious ingredients to make a very tasty side dish.
I plan to serve this as a side dish for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, where traditionally the foods eaten at this time are sweet to symbolize our wish for a sweet new year, Of course, it is perfect for anytime of year!
This recipe makes a large quantity so you can make less if you want…or freeze it..or just eat it all up!
Here is the recipe
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp chili flakes or to taste
1 tsp soya sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup olive oil *** divided into 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Peel & cube the eggplant into small pieces & set aside into a large bowl
- Finely grate the peel of the lemon & add to the eggplant.
- Juice the lemon & add it to the eggplant
- Mix the orange marmalade, orange juice, chili flakes, soya sauce, ketchup & 1/4 cup of olive oil together in a bowl, or large measuring cup, then add the liquid to the eggplant & combine
- Put the eggplant mixture into a baking dish….I used a 9 x 13 pan
- Pour the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over the top of the eggplant
- Bake at 350f for 1 1/2 hours until the eggplant is soft…time might vary depending on the size you cut your eggplant.