My sister , Edith, has made this fresh strawberry pie for years. I have always thought it sounded delicious & I wasn’t wrong!! I do love the strawberry pies that have the custard on the bottom, strawberries & then that beautiful red glaze from the package you can get at the grocery store! Nothing wrong with that pie either. But….
The glaze in this recipe is made from fresh strawberries…so…..it is really good! Fresh strawberries are put on top of plain cream cheese that has been softened & spread in a baked pie shell. Then the glaze goes on top… my glaze was thick & the strawberries did not show through the glaze so it wasn’t the prettiest pie, but it was delicious.
The recipe is from bettycrocker.com & is called Gold Medal Fresh Strawberry Pie.
Here is the recipe
*** YOU WILL NEED A TOTAL OF 6 CUPS OF STRAWBERRIES FOR THIS RECIPE ….THE AMOUNT OF STRAWBERRIES IS DIVIDED BETWEEN THE GLAZE & THE PIE
1 baked & cooled pie shell *** I made my pie shell using the recipe on a package of Crisco but you can use a frozen pie shell if you want.
For the Glaze
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 cup mashed strawberries
- Have your pie shell cooled & ready to fill
- In a saucepan…mix together the sugar & cornstarch together
- Add the 1/2 cup of water & the mashed strawberries
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture gets thick & boils
- Boil & stir for 1 minute. Let this mixture cool completely *** you can put this in the fridge to cool quicker if you want
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese & lemon peel together until the cream cheese is smooth
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly in the pie crust. I used a small off-set spatula
Put the strawberries into the pie shell over top of the cream cheese mixturePour the cooled strawberry glaze mixture over top of the strawberriesCool the pie the refrigerator for about 3 hours.***Keep the pie in the refrigerator to store