When Murray & I were in Italy about 9 years ago, we discovered a delicious drink..the Aperol Spritz. Once we were home, we tried to get restaurants to make it, but not many of them had the Aperol. It wasn’t easy to find in the liquor stores in Edmonton either. Over the years, it became known & this year the Aperol Spritz is the ‘summer drink’ I think.
Murray found this recipe for a slushy drink with Aperol on bon appetit.com. This drink is a bit on the bitter side, not like the Blended Mojito, which is sweet. But, once you start drinking it…I did not notice the bitterness & just enjoyed it!!
This Aperol drink has to be frozen for a few hours before serving, so it needs a bit of planning, but you can always make it, pop it in the freezer, then make dinner or whatever!!! We had guests over & they could not get enough of this drink!!
Here is the recipe from bon appetit
Ingredients makes 4 servings
4 tbsp honey
12 strawberries, clean, hull & cut in half
3/4 cup tequila
1/2 cup Aperol
1/2 cup lime juice
2 cups of ice….you need this just before serving
1 lime for garnish, cut in wheels
4 strawberries for garnish
- Dissolve the honey in 2 tbsp hot water
- In a blender, combine the honey/water, strawberries, tequila, Aperol & lime juice.
- Freeze the mixture in the blender for 3 ` 12 hours
- When ready to serve, remove the blender from the freezer. *** after 12 hours it was really frozen so we had to let it sit out for a while until it softened up!
- Add 2 cups of ice & blend until thick & smooth
- Divide among 4 glasses & garnish with a lime wheel & strawberry slices