I found a bag of cooked shredded chicken in my freezer from a chicken soup I made recently. Since I love chicken pot pie & shepherds pie, why not combine the two but making it healthier by omitting the pastry shell from the potpie & the potatoes from the shepherds pie? Good idea? I think so!
I had a 2 lb bag of cauliflower florets from Costco, some frozen vegetables, chicken broth, the chicken, spices, a few other ingredients & 1 onion… I combined those ingredients to make this casserole. Mine was a bit watery, most likely from the cauliflower so I am going to have less water in the recipe then I used! I would also add some sage, but Murray does not like sage but it would add some really nice flavour. Even with those couple of changes I am suggesting, the casserole I made is very tasty!
Here is the recipe
Chicken Casserole Topped with Cauliflower
1 large cauliflower *** I used a 2 pd bag of cauliflower florets from Costco
Oil to sauté the onion… approx. 1 tbsp
1 onion, chopped
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth *** I used water & some bouillon
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp sage or to taste *** I didn’t use this but I think 1 tsp of dried sage would be great in here
1 tsp garlic powder or to taste
! egg, beaten *** for the cauliflower
salt & pepper for the cauliflower
1 can French’s French Fried Onions *** I did not use the whole can
spray a casserole dish that will accommodate the casserole with non-stick spray…
- If you are using a whole cauliflower, cut it up into florets. Boil the cauliflower until soft
- When the cauliflower is cooked, drain the cauliflower using a colander & then put into a bowl & mash. Set aside if not ready to use it yet on the casserole
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil & saute the chopped onion until soft.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables & stir around to defrost them
- Add the flour & mix well until all the vegetables are coated with the flour *** don’t have the heat too high here as the flour can burn
- Whisk the broth slowly to avoid lumps.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken
- Season with sage, garlic powder, salt & pepper
- Cook for approx. 10 minutes to combine all the flavours
- Pour the chicken mixture into the sprayed casserole dish
- Mix the mashed cooked cauliflower with the beaten egg & season with salt & pepper to taste
- Top the chicken mixture with the cauliflower, spreading it all over the top
- Sprinkle with the French’s French Fried Onions
- Bake in a 375f for approx. 45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Watch that the onions do not burn