Don’t let the word Vegan scare you !!! This cake is delicious. it does not have any eggs or diary which is why it is vegan of course. But, everyone ate it & did not even realize, not that it should matter really, but you know how it is, some people are leery of new things. At first there were a few skeptics, but once they tasted it …. they were won over by the rich chocolate flavour of this cake.
Made in a square pan & baked for 30 minutes, this is the perfect cake to make when you really want some chocolate cake.fast! I put a quick icing on it that I used non-dairy margarine in, also make in the food processor.
There recipe is from Norene Gilletz. It is in her cookbook, THE PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR. This book is my bible. My copy is tattered & worn out. i should replace it but there is something so nice about my messy book. Doodled on & in… I just have to take it up & it will hold it together!!
Here is the The Pleasures of Your Food Processor by Norene Gilletz (1985-10-08)link to the cookbook on Amazon. You can click on the link & have a look at it.
Norene Gilletz has given me permission to post her recipe here! Thanks Norene!! (Not just for letting me post this recipe but for writing all of the cookbooks so many of us use!!)
Cockeyed Cake **** Vegan Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease an 8 x 8 square pan with non-stick spray
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla or peppermint extract
1 cup cold water
Method *** I have put the method I used inspired by Norene Gilletz
- Put the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & salt in the food processor. Pulse a few times to mix the dry ingredients together
- Add the oil, vinegar, vanilla & cold water. Process just until blended
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking ban
- Bake for 30 minutes Cool Frost the cake if desired
Chocolate Cocoa Frosting This recipe is also from Norene Gilletz same cookbook as the cake
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp soft butter or non-dairy vegan margarine *** I used a non-dairy margarine
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp milk or hot water *** I used hot water
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
- Process all of the ingredients in your food processor until smooth & blended
- Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary & pulse again until well combined
- Frost the cake when it is cool
- Sprinkle with candy balls or sprinkles if desired