Looking in the fridge last night & wanting to make a salad, I was disappointed that pretty much all the vegetables were gone! Ha! What was in the fridge was a beautiful purple cabbage & some carrots. Inspired by the Purple Cabbage Salad in the Kosher By Design Cookbook by Susie Fishbein, I made a purple cabbage slaw. It is delicious! Different from the one in the cookbook, but similar in that I used the cabbage, carrots , nuts & dried fruit.
Here is the link to the cookbook on Amazon if you are interested in it. There are tons of great recipes in this book & mine is in tatters from lots of use!
Here is my recipe
Purple Cabbage Slaw Inspired by Susie Fishbein
1 small purple cabbage, approx. 1 pd
1 large carrot, grated
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seed
1/4 cup sliced almonds1/2 cups dried cranberries or other small dried fruit
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
salt & pepper to taste
- Core the cabbage & slice thinly *** I used my food processor to do this which made it very quick Put the sliced cabbage into a bowl & set aside
- Grate the carrot into the cabbage
- In a dry skillet, combine all the seeds & the almonds & toast. Toss often in the pan to ensure even toasting!
- Let the seeds & nuts cool briefly while you are making the salad dressing, then toss them into the cabbage/carrot
- In a jar, combine the olive oil, rice vinegar, made syrup & salt & pepper. ***I used a tsp salt & a few grinds of pepper. Put the lid on the jar & shake up the salad dressing to combine well.
- Toss the carrot & seeds/nuts together with the cabbage then add the dressing & mix well
- Put it all into a ziploc bag to marinade until ready to serve. Make at least 30 minutes before eating.