I just love Hummus with Spiced Beef. The first time I had this was in a Middle Eastern restaurant so I jumped at the chance to make it at home when I saw this recipe! It was delicious!
This recipe is from Epicurious.com.
How about making some Baba Ganoush to go with this?
Of course, to make this meal quick… take a walk through a grocery store & pick up the things you need for this dish, hummus, baba ganoush, a bag of frozen falafel balls, pita…anything you like. put it all out on the table & have a delicious make-your-own middle eastern feast!
Here is the recipe for the Hummus Bowl with Spiced Beef...as the recipe is from epicurious.com
For the beef
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp oil..not olive oil.
1 lb ground beef…if you want to make this vegetarian use a beef substitute
For the tomato salad
2 medium tomatoes or a pint of grape tomatoes
1 cup of fresh parsley ..I used Italian parsley
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 recipe of hummus or a container of store-bought hummus
Here is the recipe for the hummus so you don’t have to look it up!
1 can of drained chickpeas, drained
1 clove of garlic
juice of a whole lemon
4 tbsp olive oil or more if needed to make the hummus as smooth as you like
3 heaping tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp water or more as needed
salt to taste
use a food processor or blender. with the machine running drop in the clove of garlic, this will mince it…add the chickpeas & process until smooth & there aren’t any large pieces left… add the rest of the ingredients & process until smooth… salt to taste
- Mix the spices, the coriander, cinnamon, salt & pepper together in a small bowl to have them ready to use with the beef
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, I used my cast iron skillet. I had the heat on high but you don’t want the meat to burn … just crisp up so watch your heat
- If the beef is moist, pat it dry with paper towels
- Press the beef into the hot pan in a single even layer using a spatula so you do not burn yourself!
- Sprinkle the mixed spices evenly over the meat
- Cook the meat without disturbing it until a brown crust begins to form on the bottom… recipe says that this takes about 6 minutes…
- Turn the beef, breaking it up into pieces , stir it & continue to cook until it is cooked through
While the beef is cooking, make the tomato salad…
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces… whatever size you like, but small
- Chop the parsley
- Toss the tomatoes, parley, lemon juice & 1 tsp salt together in a bowl
Now you will assemble the dishes…as I said you can put this on one large serving dish or individual dishes..this makes 4 servings…. Spoon the hummus onto the plate… spreading it evenly using the back of spoon works well. Then make a wide indent in the centre. Spoon the spiced cooked beef into that space you created…spoon the tomato mixture over the beef… you can drizzle this with some olive oil. Serve with pita… tahini…baba ganoush…falfel balls… etc!
Hope you enjoy this!