Brussels Sprouts are not my favourite vegetable by any means. Sometimes if they are roasted & seasoned with maple syrup….haha….I can eat them! But I do like them raw in this salad. I posted this recipe last year.
The original recipe has the kale & brussels sprouts cut thinly, but I like a quick prep & I never seem to get the vegetables sliced as thinly as I like, so I use my food processor to shred the vegetables. This makes the salad into more like a slaw. I use the shredder blade for the brussels sprouts & the slicing blade for the kale. When the lid is removed, there is a strong whiff of ‘green’ which smells like outside. I love it! Not sure where the original recipe came from, my friend gave it to me.. but I give credit to whomever made it originally!
This delicious & hearty salad is vegan. Perfect as leftovers for lunch throughout the week.
Here is the recipe, inspired by the original. I have doubled it to accommodate a whole bunch of kale
Brussels Sprout & Kale Slaw
2/3 shelled sunflower seeds
1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed & cleaned
1 bunch of kale, leaves removed from the stem, wash & dry the kale
2 tbsp grainy mustard
6 T fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp coarse salt or to taste
NOTE: you can add some dried cranberries to this salad if you want! I would just toss in a couple handfuls!
- In an ungreased skillet, toast the sunflower seeds, stirring often to avoid burning. Let cool
- Using a food processor with the grater blade, grate the brussels sprouts. ***alternately you can slice these very thinly
- Put the grated brussels sprouts into a large bowl
- Using a thin slicer blade in the food processor & the feed tube, slice the kale ***alternately you can thinly slice the kale by hand
- Put the sliced kale into the bowl with the brussels sprouts
- Make the dressing: In a jar ( to shake the dressing) or bowl to whisk it,,, add the grainy mustard, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt & oil. shake well or whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the prepared brussels sprouts & kale, mix well
- Add the cooled sunflower seeds to the brussels sprouts & kale & toss to combine!
This salad is good right away or make ahead as it is good for several days.
3 thoughts on “Brussels Sprout & Kale Slaw”
This salad is delicious and hearty. I love it!
Thanks! I love it too!
[…] Brussels Sprout & Kale Slaw — Marilyn Dishes […]
You must log in to post a comment.