My niece Sari gave this recipe over 20 years ago I am sure. It is simple & delicious & everyone loves it!
I make a very similar dessert with graham wafer squares Caramel Graham Wafers, but this is a bit different… this recipe has chocolate & I added some sprinkles & coconut on top, which are both optional
The recipe is simple, you line a cookie sheet with saltine crackers, make a caramel by melting sugar & butter which is spread over the crackers, than bake this! As soon as it comes out of the oven, spread chocolate chips evenly all over, wait a minute or two & spread them all over the crackers. Top as desired! Let it cool then cut it into small squares….
I have to be honest & say that it was very difficult to stop snacking on these every time I walked by them.. so I froze them! I made them to take to a party but didn’t need all of them… everyone at the party really liked them & could not stop eating them either!
Thanks to my niece Sari for this great & yum recipe!
Here is the recipe
1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers … 35 crackers fit on my baking sheet
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 300 g bag of chocolate chips
2/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 ice cream sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350f
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Lay the saltine crackers in a single layer all of the baking pan, set aside
- Melt the butter & brown sugar together in a saucepan, stir & boil gently for 3 minutes
- Pour the caramel evenly over the saltine crackers covering all of them
- Bake for 5 minutes… don’t bake this too long or the caramel will burn…so you have to watch ti
- Remove from the oven & sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the caramel right away so they can melt
- When you see that the chocolate softened, take an off-set spatula or a knife or use the back of a spoon & spread the chocolate evenly over the crackers
- Right away while the chocolate is melty… sprinkle with nuts, coconut & sprinkles ( this is optional, they are delicious without any topping too) … press gently into the chocolate otherwise the topping will fall off!
- Pop this into the refrigerator to cool so that the chocolate will harden up
- Then, I cut this into squares but you can break it up if you want!