This is my all-time favourite Passover dessert recipe! Matzo Caramel Crunch…you can check out the other Passover recipes I have on this blog.. look under Passover Dishes in the INDEX I have included 2 recipes that are not for Passover that are very similar!
If you don’t celebrate Passover & still want to make this here is a recipe using Saltine crackers & another one using Graham Wafers!
The first time I made this recipe was in 2005! Now my niece makes this for us every year! I made some & sent it off to Toronto to the family there, I had to ‘taste test’ some & it was delish!
The recipe is MY TRADEMARK MOST REQUESTED ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT CARAMEL MATZOH CRUNCH on epicurious.com. I did change it a bit.
Here is the recipe I make it parve but you can substitute the parve margarine for butter.
3 – 4 matzo sheets …the number depends on the size of your sheet pan.. I use a standard size cookie sheet and use 2 boards & one broken up to fill in the spaces
1 cup Passover parve margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips *** you can had more chocolate chips if you want a thicker layer
optional… sliced almonds… sprinkles…white chocolate chips to swirl with the chocolate. kosher salt
Preheat oven to 375f
one lined baking sheet * although I have some new Nordicware gold baking sheets that do not require lining for this
- Lay the matzo sheets flat on the baking sheet filling the bottom completely. Break up sheets as needed to fill in the spaces. Set aside
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the margarine & the sugar. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat until it boils. Continue boiling for about 3-4 minutes, but stir stir stir It can burn quickly
- Pour the sugar mixture evenly over the matzo… I used a wooden spoon to spread it evenly around and into the corners, a silicone spatula also works well.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350f then put the tray into the preheated oven. Bake for about 15 minutes. Check it so that it doesn’t burn , you can lower the temperature to 325f if it is getting too brown.
- Remove from the oven
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the hot matzo
- Wait 5 minutes then spread the chocolate evenly over the top. While the chocolate is still soft you can add whatever toppings you want, If you want a chocolate/white chocolate swirl then you should add the white chocolate chips at the same time as the other. I do like sprinkling some kosher salt on top of the chocolate.. It is also great to put some ice cream sprinkles on top!
- Let cool by putting the pan into the fridge. When firm break or cut into pieces
2 thoughts on “Here it is! The famous Matzo Caramel Crunch Recipe.”
This sort of reminds me of toffee squares, but easier!
Toffee squares sound good!
You must log in to post a comment.