This is a Passover side dish but with a few changes the recipe can be adapted to all year. Replace the matzo meal with fine bread crumbs!
A very delicious spinach dish, this is made in a square pan but can easily be baked in muffin cups which would be a very nice addition to any plate! You will have to double the recipe for muffin cups.
This recipe is from my friends’ mom.. she is a great cook and gave me several recipes over the years! This one probably about 20 years ago & I kept turning past it .. I shouldn’t have. it is very good. I have made a couple changes to her original recipe.
This recipe is made in an 8×8 pan so if you need more just double the recipe. It is easy to adapt
Here is the recipe
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
8 oz (226 gr) of frozen spinach, cooked & drained really well
1 1/2 cups grated carrots… i did not grate them, just put them in the processor & chopped them up in there!
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup matzo meal ( fine bread crumbs during the year)
salt & pepper
preheat oven to 350f
Grease an 8 x8 pan with oil or cooking spray.. (Or grease muffin tins .. 6 for this quantity or double the recipe for 12 ) Alternately you can make this in a casserole dish & scoop out to serve instead of cutting it up
- Heat the oil
- Sauté chopped onions & sliced mushrooms until starting to brown nicely
- Put into a large bowl when done & add the drained spinach & carrots to the bowl & mix well
- Add the beaten eggs, mix
- Now the matzo meal ( bread crumbs) , salt & pepper & mix to combine well
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish & put into the preheated oven
- Bake until brown for approx 45 minutes, less for muffin cups.. check those after 30 min!
- Cut into squares to serve