This is a very old recipe.. it was my grandmothers recipe, I don’t remember eating it but I made this the other day to rave reviews!
The cake is light in texture & the apples are jammy. The recipe is non-dairy /parve so good anytime.
Very few ingredients but it does call for a can of ED Smith Apple Pie filling…so grab a can next time you are grocery shopping so that you can make this cake anytime! Of course, i am pretty sure you could uses any type of canned apple pie filling ! There is a note on this recipe that strawberry-rhubarb pie filling is also good in this. I used apple & it is delicious!
This cake is good on its own but you can serve it with some whipped cream, we actually served it with some coconut whip…or ice cream would be good too!
Here is the recipe
1 can E D Smith Apple Pie Filling
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 c water
3/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanillla
3 tsp baking powder
2 heaping cups flour
Cinnamon Sugar for the top of the cake – mix some sugar & cinnamon together for this
Preheat oven 350f
Spray an 8×12 baking dish
- Peel & grate the apples into a large bowl.
- Add the can of pie filling to the grated apples & mix well
- Mix the cake ingredients together. You can mix this batter by hand or use a mixer or food processor.
- Beat the eggs. Add the sugar- mix, then the water -mix, then the oil & vanilla, mix well
- Add the baking powder to the flour & stir together with a fork or whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & mix well
- Put half of the cake batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading it evenly. To make this easier, put dollars of batter into the bottom of the dish then join the dollops together… I find that an offs-set spatula helps this process but you can use the back of a spoon
- Now, evenly spread the apple filling over the batter that is in the pan. Be gentle so that you don’t bring up the cake batter into the apple mixture
- Finally, Put the remaining cake batter over the apple filling using the ‘dollop’ method
- Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over the top of the cake
- Bake for 50-55 minutes in the preheated oven …until the cake is brown & cooked through
- Let cool in the pan before serving since the filling will be very hot