I had this salad at my sister’s home last week. We were visiting her in California. It was a great visit with lots of great food!
She got the recipe from a friend of hers, I don’t know who it was. The salad was a bit sweet for Murray & I so I have made a few changes to it!…Hope my sister doesn’t mind!! Also, there were some chopped green onions in the salad & I am not a real fan of that & I happen to have some chives in the freezer from our garden so I substituted the chives for the green onion. If you don’t have have chives use the green onion if you want
I think that you can make this salad your own by adding some other things to it. The recipe has cabbage, corn niblets & chopped red pepper. I think that any coloured pepper will work…whichever pepper you like. Also, I think that more corn would be good… some pomegranate seeds would be delicious as well if you have some. I you like your salads sweeter, add more sugar.
This salad is better the longer it sits, so make it an hour or longer before you want to eat it . There is not a lot of dressing in this salad, so if you want more, just make more dressing & add it
Here is my recipe
1 small 2 lb cabbage or use a pre-shredded bag of cabbage or coleslaw mix will be fine
2 sweet red pointed peppers but.. you can use 1 or 2 regular peppers..any colour you like
1 cup of frozen cooked corn niblets
1/4 cup chopped chives or chop up about 3 green onion,,,use the white & green parts, but trim the ends…
1/3 cu-p seasoned rice vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil…,I use canola oil
1 tbsp sugar
- If you are using a whole cabbage, grate it in your food processor so that it is thin.. if you like your cabbage thicker you can slice it…
- Put the prepared cabbage into a large bowl. If you are using a pre-shredded bag of cabbage, wash & dry it if necessary & put it into the bowl
- Seed the peppers. Cut the peppers into thin strips then thinly slice them. Put these into the bowl with the cabbage
- Cook the corn niblets, I cooked them in the microwave
- Add the corn to the bowl with the cabbage & peppers
- Add teh chives or green onions
- Give it a good mix so all of the ingredients are well combined
- Now, make the dressing… mix the rice vinegar, oil & sugar together.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables & mix, mix, mix.. you want all of the vegetables coated in the dressing.
- Serve alongside anything!!