The cookbook that this recipe is from was published in 1991 & has so many good recipes in it!
The name of the cookbook is California Kosher …Contemporary and Tradition Jewish Cuisine,… from North Hollywood, California. A book filled with recipes from ladies that belonged to a Woman’s League. My book is tattered & I have my favorites in it. I have looked at this recipe for chicken many times & just had not made it yet, so it was time to make it!
This recipe in the cookbook is Balsamic Chicken by Janis Weiss page 156
The chicken is marinated in the fridge for 8 hours, so put it together the night before you want to cook it. Or, I would think that if you marinate it for less time, & bake it with the marinade that should be sufficient. Most of the time I want to make a chicken dish & don’t think ahead so I do not end up making that recipe. Most likely, this is what has happened over the years with this one!
I put the chicken into a Tubberware container I have that is for marinating meat, but if you have a large ziplock bag, you can put the chicken int that with the marinade, seal it up well & turn it once in a while so that all of the chicken gets marinated.
Here is the recipe
3 pounds of chicken, cut-up
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 green onions, finely sliced, tops included
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 clove garlic minced ( 1 tsp minced garlic if you are using a jar)
Tabasco to taste *** I used Franks Red Hot… I did not have any Tabasco
- Put the chicken pieces into a large bowl or as I did if you have a large container that the chicken & marinate will fit in loosely so the chicken can move around… or into a large ziplock bag. Set aside
- Now, in a measuring cup or bowl, mix the oil, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sliced green onions, salt, pepper, dry mustard, garlic & some
Tabasco drops, Mix well to combine all of these ingredients to make the marinage
- Add the marinade to the chicken… I put the chicken into a ziploc bag then poured the marinade in the bag. Mix the chicken around a bit to get the marinade all over the chicken
- Put this into the fridge to marinade… the recipe says to marinade the chicken for 8 hours or overnight, but I only decided to make this the day I wanted to cook it, so I had it in the fridge for about 4 hours. Always marinade your chicken in the fridge
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, put the pieces of chicken into a baking dish & I poured the marinade over the chicken. You can BBQ this chicken if you want, but if you are doing that, discard the marinade…do not use the marinade to baste the chicken once it is cooking.
- Cook the chicken in a 350f oven until it is throughly cooked, I cooked my chicken for 2 hours so that it was nice & brown.