When I go to Toronto, there is a dessert called Kokosh Cake that I love. I usually buy it at a place called Hermes on Bathurst Street, the address is 2885 Bathurst Street, North York. Layers of dough surrounded by a delicious chocolate filling…and sometimes I find it with a cinnamon filling which is hard to find…Since I live in Edmonton & I am pretty sure that no one make Kokosh Cake here, I have to make it myself. The recipe I decided to make is from Truffles & Trends…I made 4 small ones from one recipe…2 with 1/2 of the recipe for the chocolate filling on that page & the other one with a cinnamon filing. The recipe calls for butter, but I like to have most of my desserts non-dairy so I use Becel Vegan margarine..you can use any vegan margaine you like.. Earth Balance… whatever, or use the butter….
A Kokosh Cake is similar in some ways to a Babka… the similarities are that there is a delicious filling around dough… a Babka has a more bread like dough & a Kokosh has thinner dough around the filling…. both equally delicious.
The Kodosh Cake is very simple to make…. Takes less time than a Bapka..as the dough for the Bapka has to rise & the dough for the Kokosh does not. So it is quicker to make.
I set this out on my island one day when we had some people drop by & it was gone before I knew it!
Here is the recipe
2 1/4 tsp INSTANT yeast (1 packet)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup orange juice
1 1/2 sticks of butter *** I used parve/ vegan Becel margarine so this is non-dairy
3 – 4 cups flour. Start with 4 cups of flour then add more as needed to make a soft, not sticky dough
1/4 tsp salt
some oil for spreading….
1 egg, beaten for brushing on before baking
Chocolate Filling ***NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ONLY CHOCOLATE KOKOSH CAKE, THEN DOUBLE THIS RECIPE & DO NOT MAKE THE CINNAMON FILLING
1/4 cup butter, melted & cooled slightly *** again I used Becel vegan margarine
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/8 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 large egg white
Cinnamon Filling *** IF YOU ONLY WANT TO MAKE CINNAMON KOKOSH…DOUBLE THIS RECIPE & DO NOT MAKE THE CHOCOLATE FILLING
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted *** I used Becel Vegan Margarine
Preheat oven to 350f LIne 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
*** I made the fillings before making the dough… even though I wrote the recipe out dough first…the order you make the dough & teh fillings is up to you. This dough does not need to rise so it does not really matter which order this is done in
- Mix the butter/margarine, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla and egg white until well combined….set aside
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon & butter/margarine together until well combines… set asaide
- Use the bowl of a mixer & put the yeast & 1 tsp sugar in the bowl. Add the warm water & let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes until it foams...*** my mixing bowl is metal so it is cold… Put some hot water in the metal bowl, swirl it around to watm the metal…then put the yeast/sugar/water in… I set the bowl on a towel to keep it warm…my counter is cold….
- Once the yeast mixture has foamed, give it a stir
- Now, add the 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, orange juice, butter, flour & salt to the bowl
- Beat on medium speed for a couple of minutes until the ingredients come together….if the dough is too sticky add a bit of flour *** this dough is ready to use at this point…do not let it rise
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface
- Divide the dough into as many balls as you would like to make loaves… I made 4 smaller ones
- Roll out one ball of dough very thinly..into a rectangle…
- Spread it with a light coating of oil on top of the dough
- Spread with filling of your choice onto the rolled piece of dough, leaving about a 1 inch boarder around the edges*** divide the filling into equal portions so that the Kokosh Cakes will have the same amount of filling in each…
- Roll up the dough from the shorter side, flattening the dough slightly between each roll… forming a flattish log…
- Brush the top of the rolled dough with the beaten egg
- Repeat this process with the other balls of dough…
- Place the logs on the prepared baking sheets & bake for about 25-30 minutes or until they are a nice deep brown colour… the time will depend on the size of the logs..***my cinnamon logs were a bit under-baked
- Let cool before cutting them…. if you can wait!!
4 thoughts on “Chocolate & Cinnamon Kokosh Cake”
Looks like a very yummy recipe…….will try it soon 🙂
Looks so delicious, thanks for sharing!
[…] You can put candied fruit in, raisins, anything really. Today I tried the chocolate filling from Chocolate & Cinnamon Kokosh Cake, it tastes great except that I doubled the filling which meant that I put toooo much in & it […]
[…] name of the recipe is Fold-Up Yeast Cakes..I would say it this is more like a babka…or Kokosh,, a layered […]
You must log in to post a comment.