When you want an apple pie & your favourite bakery is closed…or you don’t have the time or energy to make a pie at home..this apple cake/dessert…is perfect! It is just a pile of cut apples put into a springform pan, then an easy batter poured over-top of the apples, baked, turned over and voila! Not as sugary as an apple pie, so you have to like the flavour of apples …which we do! It is a very cool recipe…the batter settles into the apples & combines to turn this into a very interesting dish.
This recipe is from smitten kitchen, Apple Sharlotka. I follow smitten kitchen on Facebook & Instagram so I get to see her wonderful recipes often. I saw this recipe & thought it would be great to try it.
I stopped at the grocery store on my way home, picked up 6 Granny Smith apples….& everything else I needed was in my kitchen waiting to be turned into this wonderful dessert.
We ate it after dinner that day, breakfast the next morning & every time we walked by the cake plate that had this apple cake on it we had some! Didn’t really seem, like eating cake…more like eating baked apples…there is no added sugar to the apples themselves… which for sure makes this perfect for breakfast!
I am going to make this often… quick, delicious, perfect for anytime, parve (non-dairy) …I always like to have good non-diary desserts to make.
*** Note… I found that this was better the first and second day..it got a bit mushy on the third day of left-overs but it was still delicious!
Here is the recipe from smitten kitchen Apple Sharlotka
6 large tart apples *** I used granny smith
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
cinnamon & powdered sugar to garnish after the cake is cooled
9 inch springform pan
Preheat oven to 350f
- Line the bottom to the springform pan with a parchment paper round…& grease the paper & sides of pan *** I used non-stick cooking spray
- Peel & slice the apples into 1/4 inch slices… I just peeled them, cut the spells into 4 chunks around the core…then sliced it
- Put all of the sliced apples into the prepared springform pan. I left them kind of loose but made sure the top was even…
- This batter is easy to mix by hand so get a bowl & beat the 3 eggs in the bowl
- Add the 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla & 1 cup of flour to the eggs & mix well until you have a well combined batter
- Pour the batter evenly over the apples. It kind of settles onto them & you want the batter to cover the apples completely…to accomplish this i kept a few tablespoons in the bowl spread the batter over the apples & used the remainder of the batter to cover any apples that were exposed. The batter forms the cake around the apples & this part..the top of the springform, is the bottom of the cake so you want cake at the bottom not apples…. hope I explained that properly!
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes…I baked it for 60 minutes…when you use a cake tester, it should come out dry when put into the cooked batter ….
- Remove the cake from the oven when it is done & let it cool on a rack in the pan for about 10 minutes
- Loosen the sides of the cake away from the pan with a butter knife…then I took the ring off the pan… I used a round cooking rack & put it on top of the cake to flip it over, then…remove the parchment paper from the exposed side of the cake …then let the cake cool or you can use a serving plate to turn the cake over… then you won’t have to move it again.
- Dust the warm cake with cinnamon
- When the cake is cooled, dust it with some icing sugar…if you do that when the cake is warm, the icing sugar will melt..which is ok too
This cake can be served warm or room temperature
Enjoy!!! ( thank you smitten kitchen.,, I love his recipe)