Another great recipe from Smitten Kitchen! These raspberry scones have a delicious subtle flavour. I ate a couple fresh the day I made them, the next day I cut one in half & toasted it… put some butter on which melted into the warm crispy scone… SO GOOD!!!
Of course as usual I didn’t have all the ingredients as the recipe called for, but I substituted what I had & they were so yummy! I decided to make them when I saw the recipe because I had leftover ricotta from the Ricotta Gnocchi with Corn & Tomatoes & had some frozen raspberries….
Grocery list to make these other than flour, sugar, salt etc
- 1 cup raspberries***I used frozen
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt or heavy cream ***I used yogurt
Here is the recipe as I made them…
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp of butter or it is 85 grams if you want to weigh it or ,38 of a cup…
1 cup fresh raspberries.*** I used frozen
3/4 cup ricotta
1/3 cup greek yoghurt *** the original recipe calls for 1/3 cup heavy cream which I did not have so I used a vanilla flavoured greek yogurt!
Preheat oven to 425f Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk the flour, baking powder & salt together in a large bowl
- Cut the butter into pieces & add to the flour. If you have a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour with it, or use 2 knives, or even your fingers but you don’t want to overwork the butter into the flour with your hands… the pieces of butter should be pea sized
- Add the raspberries to the flour/butter mixture. You can use the pastry blender to cut the berries up a bit..or knives…they should be halved..but left in chunks..
- Add the ricotta & greek yogurt ( or heavy cream) to the flour/butter mixture & mix together. Knead the dough a bit to pull it all together..you want the dough to ‘rough’ looking…not smooth like a cookie batter…
- Put the dough onto a floured work surface & pat it into a square… 7 inches square but 1 inch thick
- Using a long knife, cut this square of dough into 9 even squares
- Put them onto the prepared baking sheet….use a spatula to do this
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes until they are nicely browned
- Cool on the pan for a bit then remove to a rack to cool completely