The definition of a ‘kugel’ is according to Wikipedia, a baked pudding or casserole, most commonly made from egg noodles or potatoes,
This particular kugel recipe is sweet & has cinnamon & raisins in it. It is good for brunch or lunch but not as a side dish for dinner in my opinion….I suppose it would pair with salmon but I prefer it on its own or on a buffet table.
It is simple to prepare & you can leave the raisins out if you do not like them. Most of my family does not like raisins in their food so they will not be eating this kugel. I really like it though as a change. Serve it topped with some sour cream or plain yogurt.
The recipe is from the cookbook SECOND HELPINGS PLEASE! The recipe is called Sour Cream Noodle Pudding. This cookbook has just be relaunched. If you are interested in finding one to buy, please send me an email & I can let you know how to get one.
Here is the recipe, ***I have made adjustments to the original recipe to use a 340 g pkg of egg noodles,
1 340 g pkg of egg noodles
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups plain yogurt or sour cream
3/4 cups cream cheese, softened
5 eggs, separated *** set the whites aside because you will whip them into peaks
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 – 3/4 cup raisins
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Cook the noodles as per the instructions on the package. drain when done
- Put the cooked noodles into a large bowl, big enough to add all of the liquid ingredients too as well as beaten egg whites
- Add the butter to the warm noodles, mix well
- In your food processor, process the yogurt, cream cheese, egg yolks & sugar together until smooth. Scrape down the sides often *** if you do not have a food processor, you can use a spoon & combine the yogurt & cream cheese first, then add the egg yolks & sugar. Set aside
- Add the cheese/egg mixture to the egg noodles & mix well.
- With your mix master or a hand beater, beat the 5 egg whites until stiff peaks are formed
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the noodle mixture
- Add the cinnamon & raisins & combine well
- Pour into the prepared baking pan
- Bake at 350f for about an hour
*** If you are not eating this right away, I usually cool the kugel in the fridge then cut it…it cuts easier cold, but if you want to eat it hot that’s ok too!