We have a rhubarb plant in our back yard & we love it! I am always a bit sad when we have used all of the rhubarb from out plant. Looking outside today I see some more stalks of rhubarb which is great because there is a Rhubarb Coffee Cake I want to make! One of my families favourite recipes is this Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp.
I use a crisp topping recipe from Norene Gilletz, It is the topping for the Crunchy Apple Crisp in PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR. The filling this Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp is just rhubarb, strawberries & sugar. Easy
Here is the recipe
Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
For the fruit part of the recipe
4 cups of diced rhubarb…I don’t know how many stalks this is… *** make sure you wash the rhubarb well & dry it the best you can I cut the rhubarb & submerge it in a big bowl of water for a few minutes then I drain the water off & put the rhubarb onto a kitchen bowl & get most of the water off
4 cups of sliced strawberries….I cut mine in half, I like bigger chunks then if they were sliced
1 cup sugar *** this made the crisp quite tart so if you like your sweet, add more sugar!
For the topping
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Vegan Margarine *** you can use butter if you want
1/3 cup oats
Preheat oven to 350
Grease, I use a non-stick cooking spray, a baking dish…I use a 10 x 8 oval dish for this crisp…so use an appropriate size dish
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries & sugar in a bowl. Mix well so that all of the fruit has some sugar on it!
- Put this sugared fruit into the baking dish
- Prepare the topping.. Using your food processor, add of the topping ingredients & pulse until well combined but not long…. You can mix this up by hand your prefer… using a fork, mix the brown sugar & flour together…add the margarine & mix so that it forms clumps, then add the oats & mix well. *** mixing by hand will give you a more of an ‘oat’ texture & in the food processor you will have a more smooth texture
- Take the blade out of the food processor….
- Using your hands, dot the topping all over the fruit
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 1 hour…until the fruit is bubbling & the topping is brown & crispy
5 thoughts on “Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp”
Exact recipe I use and so yummy. I have lots of rhubarb. If you would like some let me know. I will pick and wash and deliver. I’m away visiting grandkids but back on weekend. Have a good Shabbas and Canada Day, as well,
Sent from my iPhone
Thanks!!! I will email you
Thank you Marilyn 🙂 I asked my mother for few rhubarbs and got ( of course) tons… so, all recipes are very welcome and this one look amazing ..:)
Great! Watch for a good cake recioetoo. I will try to get it up in the next day or so!
[…] I make a Rhubarb and Strawberry Crisp! My daughter Jacki made a crisp a few weeks ago with Rhubarb and Blueberry and told me it was […]
You must log in to post a comment.