This recipe is from a friend of mine. She gave me this recipe for Pineapple Meatballs over 30 years ago when I lived in Yellowknife NWT!The recipe is written on a small piece of paper with kind of cryptic instructions but I have figured it out & they are delicious !
The meatballs are cooked separately then added to the pineapple sauce. It is a pretty quick recipe. I served this with brown rice & roasted broccoli. While the rice was cooking I fried up the meatballs & cooked the sauce at the same time. So all in all, maybe it took an hour…but that is giving a big window of time. The sauce cooked up in 5-7 minutes, the rice 35 minutes, broccoli only 10 minutes in a hot oven & the meatballs maybe 20 minutes, so the longest cook time was the rice. After the meatballs were cooked completely,, I added them to the sauce, put it on a low simmer atop stay warm until we were ready to eat!
Here is the recipe
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp canola oil
1 red pepper, cut in chunks
1 tbsp canola oil
1 can of pineapple tidbits, drained RESERVE THE JUICE FROM THE PINEAPPLE!!!
2 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsp soya sauce
1/2 cup water
- Mix the ground beef with the bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper & egg. Combine well
- In a frying pan, heat the oil.
- Form the ground beef mixture into meatballs, flatten them slightly as they cook a bit quicker this way.Turning them once until they completely cooked
- In a medium size sauce pan, sauté the red pepper in the 1 tbsp oil until softened. Lower the heat to a medium/low heat
- Add the drained pineapple, brown sugar vinegar & soya sauce, mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine the reserved pineapple juice & corn starch mixing with a whisk or fork.
- Add this pineapple/cornstarch to the saucepan. Stirring often until the sauce begins to thicken
- Add the 1/2 cup of water to thin the sauce out, stir well
- Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce. Gently stir the meatballs into the pineapple sauce. Simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavours & let the meatballs get nicely coated with the sauce
Serve with rice