I don’t like lamb but Murray does, so I put some lamb chops on the BBQ yesterday for him! They are not a first cut lamb chop but these have more meat per chop & are thick so he was a happy guy!
I made a quick spice rub & then put the lamb chops on the grill. Ii just looked in my spice drawer & put this together. Murray said it was delicious so we will have to take his word for it since I do not eat lamb….haha….but he said the spice rub was ‘blog worthy’ so here it is! Murray does not like everything I cook..so we can trust him on this!
Here is the recipe
4 Lamb shoulder chops or any cut of lamb chops
*** if you have more chops then I did, increase the quantitiies of the spice rub because this was just enough for this many chopes
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp onion powder
- I turned my BBQ on while I prepared the lamb chops to cook them
- Mix up the spice rub by putting all of the ingredients into a bowl & mix it together
- Sprinkle the spice rub on both sides of the lamb chops & rub it in
- I put the chops on the BBQ & had the heat just below high… seared them on the first side & I watched to see that they did not over-cook on the first side & they were still very rare. I turned them over.
- I took a pastry brush & brushed a light coating of oil on the first side.
- When the second side was seared but not cooked, I turned the lamb chops over again so that the first side that was on the grill is now on the heat again…
- Taking the same pastry brush, brush some oil on the second side.
- Then turn the chops over again to cook the second side
- The oil sears it up nicely…..
- I did not put the oil on at the beginning because I did not want the oil to burn before the chops could be cooked through a bit…they were thick. I your lamb chops are not thick I think you can oil them right away since you do not want to over cook them…unless you like them well done
- Just before removing the lamb chops from the grill I turn them on their side to cook the fat that was along the edges of the meat. I do not like that fat uncooked so I sear all visible fat….if it is too much on the chops I trim it first but I did not trim these so I cooked it.
Let me know what you think about this recipe & you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter…links are at the top of the page