An old family recipe for a cottage cheese ‘pie’ baked in a square pan…so not really a ‘pie’ but not a square either! This recipe has a cake like bottom, cottage cheese filling & cake like top… slightly sweet but not too much sugar…baked to a golden brown. But it isn’t really a cake either! You will just have to make it & decide what to call it yourself!!
Eat this for lunch, supper…or even a delicious snack. Baked cottage cheese has a delicious flavour & texture. I like to serve this with some strawberries & plain greek yoghurt, but just as good with any berries & whipped cream if you want! Or alone… a drizzle of maple syrup would be ok too! My family always used the sugary frozen sliced strawberries that came in a rectangular tin in the freezer section of the grocery store & I still like that too. Now I am more into the fresh berries…or if I don’t have any…I gently defrost the frozen ones. If you like your berries sweet..add a bit of sugar on them before defrosting them & just mix up after. Murray likes to eat it with his rhubarb compote…let me know if you want a recipe for that!!
On the Jewish holiday of Shavuot, dairy foods are eaten. This Cottage Cheese Pie is a nice addition to any dairy meal. This can be eaten at room temperature which is perfect for this holiday. Just take it out of the fridge & let it warm up a bit on the counter.
I do not know the origin of this recipe, but my aunt gave it to me many years ago.
Dasha’s Cottage Cheese Pie
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
3 cups dry cottage cheese
4 tbsp melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp sugar
Preheat oven to 350f Grease an 8 x 8 square pan *** I used cooking spray but you could use butter
- Mix the butter, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, eggs & milk together. I used my food processor. This makes a soft dough
- Put 1/3 of the dough into the prepared baking dish & reserve the other 2/3 *** I didn’t put enough filling on the bottoms mine is a bit ‘top heavy’ but it still tastes great!
- In a bowl, mix the dry cottage cheese, the melted butter, the beaten eggs & sugar together.
- Spread the cottage cheese filling evenly over the dough that is in the baking dish
- Put the rest of the dough evenly over the cottage cheese filling *** I put dollops of dough all over & then spread it out…
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx 1 hour until golden brown around the edges & dough is cooked through
***note…the original recipe calls for 1/2 of the amount of filling that I have used. I like a lot of filling. You can halve the cottage cheese amt, use 2 Tbsp of melted butter, 1 egg. 1 tbsp of sugar for the filling if you want it to be less…you can see from the picture how much cottage cheese filling there is in the one I made… the one with less filling..the cheese kind of disappears a bit…
You must log in to post a comment.