I love to make Honey Cookies for Rosh Hashanah , the Jewish New Year. They are sweet, coated with sugar which makes them crunchy on the outside, chewy inside & just plain delicious
I use the recipe for Honey Cookies by Lil’Miss Cakes.but I have seen it in cook books from many years ago but I had never paid any attention to the recipe!
This recipe uses common ingredients that you most likely already have at home. The only thing I didn’t have the first time I made this Honey Cookies was the turbinado sugar that the dough is rolled in before baking. I just used some brown sugar one time & other times I have used white sugar…coarse sugar would work too.
I usually bake these cookies just once a year in the fall. The kids in my family love them. I always have these sweet cookies on my Rosh Hashanah table. At this time of year we traditionally eat sweet foods so we have a sweet year. Honey Cookies are perfect for this!
Here is the recipe from Lil’ Miss Cakes
These cookies bake up in about 8 minutes. They Puff up during baking but flatten as they cool. Honey Cookies are very tender when they come out of the oven so let them rest on the cookie sheets for a few minutes so that they are easy to move onto the cooling racks.
THIS RECIPE MAKES APPROX 41 COOKIES THAT ARE MADE WITH A 1 TABLESPOON MEASURE
2/3 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
turbinado sugar for rolling the dough in before baking
Preheat the oven to 350f
Line baking sheets with parchment paper… I used 3 baking sheets & baked them all at the same time using the convection bake mode on my oven.
- Use a mix master or you could do this in a food processor too …
- Mix the oil, sugar & honey together until well combined
- Add the egg & vanilla, mix well
- Mix in the flour, baking soda & salt.
- Put some of the turbinado sugar into a bowl big enough to roll the cookie dough in
- Form 1 tbsp of cookie dough into a ball & roll this ball in the sugar…I actually just dip one side in & then put the sugar side up on the baking sheet
- Put the cookie balls onto the prepared baking sheets leaving about 2 inch between them . The cookies flatten when baking
- Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes…. I checked them at 8 minutes & they were not quite done, but there were really done at 9 minutes…Keep your eye on them after the 8 minutes…baking time of course depends on your oven & the size of the cookies you make
- Remove the cookies from the oven & let them cool slightly on the baking sheets as they are really soft right out of the oven. Remove the cookies from the baking sheets with a spatula & let cool on cooling racks.