I was visiting Murray’s aunt a few months ago & went through her recipes! This Marinaded Bean Salad recipe is most likely from the 70’s she said! Written on a scrap of paper…I do not know where she got the recipe from. I adapted the original recipe so the one here is my take on Dash’s recipe.
Dasha’s Marinated Bean Salad is not too sweet. There is just the right amount of vinegar to sugar ratio to create a very delicious dressing for the mixture of beans.
The recipe for Dasha’s Marinated Bean Salad makes a large quantity. You can enjoy the left-overs since it keeps in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
The recipe consists of canned beans & one red onion making this a very economical.
Can you make this your own? Of course you can! It is best to have a variety of beans for texture & taste but you can swap some out if you want. If you don’t like lima beans leave them out & swap something else, I used a can of mixed beans. I liked the mixed beans since there were some chickpeas int here which I loved in the salad. If you were going to change out the type of bean just make sure the quantity of ingredients is the same. I have also make this with a whole can of chick peas instead of the lima beans,
Perfect to serve as a side dish for any meal. We eat it with everything!
Here is the recipe..
1 can of cut green beans
1 can of cut wax ( yellow) beans
1 can of kidney beans
! can of lima beans…***I could not find lima beans in the store I was in so I used a can of mixed beans
1 red onion
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
Use a large bowl to mix this salad in
- Drain & rinse all of the canned beans & put them into a large bowl
- Thinly slice the red pepper & add to the bowl
- Stir all the ingredients in the bowl together & set aside
- Now, mix the dressing in a bowl or measuring cup or jar..somewhere you can mix it together well
- Add the dressing to the beans & mix it well
- I put this salad into a large ziplock bag for a few hours & in the fridge so that the beans could get marinated …I turned the bag once in a while/…
- Then I put this bean salad into a large jar… you can use a large bowl with a lid…
- This keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge