This is an updated post…..
I have made these Korean Style Ribs several times throughout the year. In the winter I bake them in the oven & in the summer I BBQ them…great either way!
The marinade for these Korean Style Ribs does not have any sugar in it. If you want your ribs to be sweet, add 1/4 cup of sugar. We find the flavour is good without any added sweetener, but of course it depends on how you like your ribs ! Sometimes I add the sugar but it is not necessary. The flavour with our sugar is excellent.
Miami ribs are a favourite of mine to cook. They don’t take long on the BBQ so these can be a pretty quick meal.
I like to serve these Korean Style Ribs with rice. If you bake them there will be some pan juices to pour on top of your rice! If you BBQ the ribs you can use a bit of soya sauce on your rice, or quickly make some fried rice!
This is how I make fried rice in a hurry, cook the rice, In a skillet I warm up some oil, not too much, then I add the rice to the pan spreading the rice our so it is flat. Let the rice sit there for a few minutes to get crispy. Turn the rice over & mix it around. If you want to add an egg, do it now. Whisk one or two eggs, make a space in the middle of the rice, add the egg and mix it into the rice making sure it cooks completely. Next I add some frozen mixed vegetables or if you don’t have that use peas, or any veg. If you are using frozen broccoli or cauliflower or green beans for example, cook them first in the microwave & drain of any liquid. Add the veg to the rice. Season as you widh with some ground garlic & ginger. Mix well & make sure the veg get defrosted & warmed up. Add some soya sauce to this & any other sauce you like. You can add hot sauce if you want! This is just a really simple fried rice I make as a side dish. IF I am making fried rice for a meal I add some cooked chicken to this & spend a bit more time on the eggs!
My recipe is inspired by a recipe I saw on sparkpeople.com, submitted by OMEAEMO. I have changed a few things.
Here is the recipe
Korean Style BBQ Ribs
3 lbs Miami Style Beef Ribs
1 cup water
1/2 cup soya sauce
2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar or sweetener ***optional
- Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together in a zip – loc bag
- Add the ribs to the bag, seal the bag & make sure all of the ribs are covered with the marinade. Put the bag into the refrigerator & marinade for 1 hour or longer if you have the time. Turn the bag from time to time to make sure that all the ribs get covered in the marinade
- When you are ready to cook your ribs, take them out of the marinade & discard the marinade!
- To BBQ the ribs, put them on the grill over a medium heat. Let the ribs cook onone side until they lift off easily from the grill, then turn them over to insure that they are cooked to your liking.. Note: if your bbq is really hot then the ribs can burn especially if you have added sugar to the marinade, so cook them over the medium heat
- Alternately, put the ribs & the marinade into a roasting pan & bake at 350f, covered for 1/2 hour then uncover to continue cooking until throughly cooked & the ribs are a nice brown colour. I ususally cook these for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Turn the ribs occasionally & rotate them so each side gets in the delicious sauce!