i have made many carrot cake recipes & they always fall short of this one…
This Triple Layer Carrot Cake recipe is from Chatelaine Magazine from 1998. The page i ripped out of the magazine..whixh was mine!… is tattered and torn. I don’t often make this cake as I usually make a non dairy Carrot Cake … which I thought I had put on this blog & realize I have not! I will next time I make it!
Anyway…this cake was a favourite of my eldest son… the recipe is easy & impressive… the hardest part of it is dividing the batter evenly between the 3 cake pans! You need 3 8 inch cake pans… there is an option for baking this as a sheet cake in a 9×13 pan which I will give you since not everyone has 3 cake pans the same size!!
I had to share half of it with a friend…then froze some pieces so I would not eat a whole cake at once!
Here is the recipe… I really recommend you making this…
4 cups grated carrots… approx 8 carrots .. I used a bag of mini carrots…
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
NOTE: I DOUBLED THE ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR THE ICING..IF YOU ARE USING A 9X13 CAKE PAN… THIS MIGHT BE TOO MUCH ICING FOR YOU SO CUT THE RECIPE IN HALF…OR NOT IF YOU LIKE LOTS OF ICING!!
250 g ( 8 oz) cream cheese, if using a mixer this has to be at room temperature
1/2 cup butter…if you are using a mixer this has to be at room temperature
3 cups sifted icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease 3 8 inch cake pans with cooking spray or if you are making this in an 9 x13 pan, grease that
To make the cake
- Grate the carrots.. I use my food processor to grate them…set aside…clean the food processor .. I made the icing in it since my butter & cream cheese was not at room temp
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the brown sugar, oil, eggs & vanilla until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon together then add to the egg mixture in the bowl. Mix gently just until combined & there is not any visible flour
- Remove the bowl from the mixer & add the grated carrots. Fold the carrots into the cake batter
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the 3 prepared cake pans. If you are using a 9 x 13 pan, pour the batter into the prepared pan & smooth the batter out evenly in the pan
- Bake the cake… 3 pans… bake for 25-30 minutes 9 x13 pan…bake for 40-45 minutes… cake tester comes out dry
- Remove from the oven…let rest in the 3 cake pans for about 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling racks… if using the 9×13 pan you can leave in that pan
- Let the cakes cool completely before icing
To make the Icing
I used my food processor to make the icing but you can use your mixer
- Cut the cream cheese & butter into chunks & put in the bowl of your food processor or mixer. Cream together until there are not any chunks of either the cream cheese or butter. Scrape down the sides of the either bowl as needed
- Add the sifted icing sugar & vanilla…if you are using a mixer…add the icing sugar gradually so it does not fly all over the place!
- Mix well until smooth & creamy
Putting it together
When the cakes are completely cool you can ice them. I used approx 1/2 cup of icing inbetween the layer of the cake & the remaining on the top. Chill the cake in the fridge before cutting it to firm up the icing. Store in the refrigerator lightly covered… will stay fresh for a few days…
You must log in to post a comment.