What to do with the spaghetti squash I ordered in my curb-side order?? Good question! I turned it into a delicious kugel!
Spaghetti Squash is not my favourite of the squashes but I do like to use it with a nice Bolognaise ..this recipe is vegan… and under anything saucy!!
This recipe takes a bit of time but it is worth it! You have to bake the sqaush first, then mix it up & bake it again. I make it in the microwave so it is pretty quick.
I ate this for lunch.. & we had it for a side dish with anything!
Here is the recipe
1 med Spaghetti Squash.. you need 4 cups cooked
2 scallions , sliced, greens included
1/2 red pepper, chopped
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup matzo meal ( or bread crumbs)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup Crispy onions
Grease a 9 inch pie pan or you can use a 7 x 9 baking dish
- Cook the squash… you can bake it in the oven or cut it in half lengthwise ,HERE IS A TIP I JUST READ ON THE KITCHN ON HOW TO CUT A SPAGHETTI SQUASH IN HALF.. SCORE IT WITH A KNIFE & MICROWAVE IT FOR A FEW MINUTES. IT SHOULD CUT IN HALF MUCH EASIER AFTER THAT….NOTE. I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS METHOD BUT I WILL! BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FINGERS WHEN CUTTING THIS… IT CAN SLIP… YOU CAN GRASP IT WITH A CLEAN KITCHEN DISHTOWEL TO STABILIZE THE SQUASH AS YOU CUT IT Scrape the seeds out.. put the 2 halves cut side down into a microwave safe baking dish… add about an inch of water to the pan…microwave until soft.. approx 5 = 10 MINUTES… You just have to watch it! The squash will be very hot so I use the dish towel to feel the squash to see if it is soft.. if not then I cook it longer. Once it is done you can turn it right side up & let it cool before handling it . Scrape the squash strings out of the squash & put into a large bowl
- While your squash is cooking you can prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Slice the scallions, chop the pepper…set aside until you will add these to the cooked sqyash
- Beat the eggs
- Add the scallions, red pepper, beaten eggs, matzo meal, salt & pepper to the cooked squash . Mix really well so that it is totally combined
- Put this mixture into the prepared pie plate
- Sprinkle the crispy onions on top
- Bake at 350f until firm and brown around the edges & on top
- Let cool a bit but serve warm. I microwaved the leftovers!