Hot weather & ice cream cake go together…right? Of course they do & if you are having a dinner party…well… put some Kahlua & vodka in that ice cream!!
I took some chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, mixed them together, added some Kahlua & vodka to the ice cream, made an Oreo cookie crust, layered it all & then it was done!
That is pretty much it!
*** please read through the method before starting to make this…there are a few ideas & tips toward the end.
Kahlua Vodka Ice Cream Cake
Oreo crust recipe for the crust is from Kraft.com ( I doubled it)
36 Oreo cookies
6 tbsp melted butter
Ice Cream Filling
1 1.5 L container chocolate ice cream
1 1.5 L container of vanilla ice cream
4 tbsp Kahlua
2 Tbsp coffee vodka or regular vodka would work too!!
you need 1- 9 inch springform pan
- Put the Oreo cookies into the bowl of a food processor & process until they are fine crumbs
- Add the melted butter & process some more to mix it well *** mine was not mixed well so I put the crumbs into a bowl & mixed it together by hand to make sure that the butter was mixed with the crumbs really well
- Set this aside
Ice Cream filling
- Let the chocolate & vanilla ice cream get soft by taking them out of the freezer & letting them sit for a while on the counter
- ***WHILE THE ICE CREAM IS SOFTENING MAKE THE CRUST. PUT 1 1/2 CUPS OF THE OREO COOKIE CRUMB MIX EVENLY INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE SPRINGFORM PAN & PRESS FIRMLY WITH YOUR HANDS TO FORM THE CRUST. SET ASIDE
- When the ice cream is softened , put both type of ice cream into a large bowl & mix together until well combined
- Add the Kahlua & vodka & mix well
- Put 3 cups or half of the ice cream mixture into the springform pan on top of the crust. *** put the ice cream here & there over the crust so it is easier to spread…Using a small off-set spatula or the back of a spoon, gently spread the ice cream evenly over the crust
- Put this into the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up so you can put the next layers on. *** put the bowl with the left-over ice cream in the fridge so it gets firm & not watery
- After the 15 minutes, take the ice cream in the springform out of the freezer & take out the ice cream from the fridge
- Take another 1-1 1/2 cups of the Oreo cookie crust crumbs & sprinkle them evenly over the ice-cream that is in the springform pan
- Next, put the rest of the ice-cream that was in the fridge over top of the crumbs. ***Again, put the ice cream here & there over the cookie crumbs so that it is easy to spread….Using an off-set spatula or back of a spoon, gently spread the ice cream evenly over the crumbs
- Now sprinkle the rest of the crumbs over the final layer of ice cream!
- Cover with plastic wrap & put this into the freezer overnight to firm up… If you want to make it the same day as you are going to serve it, I do not know how long it will take for the ice cream to get frozen,,,,several hours I would think
- When you are ready to serve it, use a dinner knife that has been dipped in hot water, dry it off & run the knife around the outer edge of the cake… between the cake & the springform rim. Work quickly so your cake does not start to melt
- Put the cake onto a serving dish with a bit of a lip so if it starts to melt it will not run all over the place & make a big mess!!! Also, since the bottom of the springform pan is under the cake, it will slip around on the serving dish…you could try to put a wet piece of paper towel that has been folded up, under the springform base & maybe that will help stop some slipping…but I am not sure about that! I always leave my cake on the base of the springform because I don’t want it to break but you could try to slip it off the base. *** if you put the base in the ring upside down, without the lip..it will be easy to slip off !
You can serve this with the Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
*** I accidentally deleted a lot of the pictures from many of my blog posts …so this is the only picture I have of this ice cream cake!
2 thoughts on “Kahlua Vodka Ice Cream Cake”
You must log in to post a comment.