Tried something new for me…. chocolate hamantaschen..
I adapted a chocolate cookie recipe I have for a cut & slice cookie… it rolled out nicely but if I rolled it too thin it broke when forming the cookie…the dough is pliable enough so I was able to stick it together & form the cookie. The flavour is really nice…so I will keep this recipe for a different hamantaschen!
It is a simple dough recipe…& I used Hershey kisses for the filling…I used some white chocolate & some chocolate ones. I also sprinkled them with icing sugar but they are really fine without.
Note for the dough…it needed some kneading when it come out of the food processor or mixer if you are going to use a mixer..but it all came together & worked out quite nicely.
The result is a ‘cookie’ hamantaschen…crisp & delicious.
Here is the recipe
Makes 24 hamantaschen using a glass with a 3″ circumference
For the dough
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup butter + 1 tbsp of butter
3/4 cp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
chocolate Hershey kisses
white chocolate Hershey kisses
jam of your choice..I used cherry jam in one of them & I loved it!!!
Preheat oven to 350f
Line baking sheets with parchement, if you want to cook all of these at one time you need 2 baking sheets
- I used a food processor to mix this dough bu if you don’t have one, m use a mixer
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt & cocoa together, & set aside NOTE: SIFT THE COCOA INTO THE FLOUR AS IT USUALLY HAS LUMPS & WE DON’T WANT THAT! I do not have a sifter, just use a fine colander
- In the bowl of the food processor or the mixer, cream the butter & sugar together until creamy & well combined
- Add the egg & vanilla…. scrape down the sides of the processor or mixer & mix until this is well combined also
- Add the flout mixture, mix well until it comes together in the bowl of the processor or until it is completely mixed in the mixer
- The dough has to be ‘kneaded’ a bit as it is kind of crumbly but once it is worked together it is good
- Now, form your dough into a flat disc & put into the fridge for at about 15 minutes. If you have tin the fridge too long & the dough is hard, let it soften somewhat before rolling it…
- Once the dough is chilled, divide it in half. Roll out one half to start, not too thin..I have a picture below to show how thick I rolled it so that the dough did not break. but if the dough does break, it squishes together nicely to repair the rip!
- Cut the dough into circles, whatever size you like & fill with the desired filling, form into the triangle & put onto a lined baking sheet
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, but watch them, I overbooked mine & they are really crispy!! Haha so they need to be baked but again, it depends on the size of the cookie & how thick you rolled the dough…so watch..check at 12 minutes…
- Let cool on a wire rack
- When cool you can drizzle them with white chocolate…or sprinkle with icicle sugar…or just leave them!
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Hamantaschen”
[…] Chocolate Hamantaschen […]
[…] Chocolate Hamantaschen […]
You must log in to post a comment.