This recipe is really good actually! The ground chicken is seasoned with asian flavours, then served with a separate Korean Bbq sauce. I made these in the Instant Pot & it was very fast!
I had a pound a ground chicken that I wanted to use for dinner & not much time since i was starving! I did a search for chicken meatballs in the Instant Pot, & there was a lot of choice of recipes….but I chose this one & I was not disappointed.
The recipe is from the bewitched kitchen…Instant Pot Korean Meatballs
I followed the recipe pretty much with just a few small changes.
I had a bit of a problem because the instructions do not say how long to cook the meatballs for …so I cooked them for 5 minutes, but they were not done…I checked them with a meat thermometer so I am going to put in the method here to cook them for 10 minutes… I put the meatballs into a pie plate & poured the Korean BBQ sauce I had made from this recipe on top of the meatballs & microwaved them for 5 minutes. It actually worked out nicely since the sauce was on the meat & it was very tasty! Or, you can cook the meatballs in the oven .. the original recipe says to bake them at 425f for 25 – 30 minutes… make sure you check to make sure them are cooked completely with whatever method you use
I served these meatballs with some ramen noodles & sautéed spinach … you have lots of choice with these…you could serve them over rice, quinoa, coconut quinoa, rice noodles, ramen like I did, cauliflower fried rice… & add what ever vegetable you like… steamed broccoli….bok chop… snow peas… etc
Here is the recipe
For the Meatballs
1 lb ground chicken
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1 tbsp oil
For the Korean BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 or 2/3 cup brown sugar *** I used 2/3 cup brown sugar but you could use 1/2 cup I think
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp asian chili garlic sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp water
2 tsp cornstarch
For the Meatballs
- Mix the ground chicken, egg, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, sesame oil & salt together
- Sprinkle the panko crumbs over the chicken mixture & let it sit for about 5 minutes… maybe this softens the crumbs??? Mix it in..
- If you are going to use an Instant Pot to make these meatballs…put the tablespoon of oil in the bottom of the pot….or as I mentioned above….bake them at 425f for 25 -30 minutes on a lined cookie sheet
- Form the meat into balls… I got 13… & put them in a single layer in the bottom of the pot over the oil
- Now…close the Instant Pot according to the manufacturers instruction & put the setting to Poultry but put it to 10 minutes….then let it natural de-pressurrize..& open the lid according to the manufactures instructions…. Once it is finished cooking then you turn it off & it will de-ressureize…but consult your manual
- While the chicken meatballs are cooking you can make the BBQ Sauce..
For the BBQ Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine the soya sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, garlic chilli sauce, sesame oil, ginger & pepper
- Bring this to a boil
- Mix the cornstarch & water together in a little dish until the cornstarch dissolves
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the bbq sauce & cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens
Serve the meatballs with the bbq sauce… I poured the sauce over the meatballs… it was very good.