We love quinoa so when a recipe I saw suggested to serve the main with coconut rice, I thought I would make Coconut Quinoa. Luckily, I had the only 2 main ingredients needed for this simple & delicious side dish.
Quinoa & a can of coconut milk…water & salt. Pretty simple clean recipe. I am going to serve this with some PERI-PERI Chicken that I made with a jar of Nandos Peri Peri sauce that I bought at Costco.
The recipe is from Bon Appetit …I just did a search & a lot of recipes came up but I like Bon Appetit so decided to try this one!
The verdict is that this is delicious & will be made in our home often! It has a very subtle coconut flavour which is good to pair with any highly seasoned main dish.
Here is the recipe
1 tbsp oil
1 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa
1 can of coconut milk
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt & then more to taste once the quinoa is cooked
- Heat the oil in a saucpan
- Add the qunioa & stir often until the quinoa gets fragrant & browned
- Add the coconut milk, water & salt. Mix well to combine
- Bring to a boil….but be careful because it seems to spit up…
- Cover & lower the heat to a simmer
- Cook until all of the liquid is absorbed…about 20 -25 minutes.
- season with more salt if desired
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes Fluff