This recipe is from smittenkitchen. I love her granola recipe so I was pretty sure I would love this too! This is really a quick recipe & a great snack. Not too sweet, crunchy & delicious.
I have bought Granola Bark at Second Cup coffee shops here in Edmonton & I am very happy to have a recipe to make it myself. Here is a link to the recipe for Granola Bark on the smitten kitchen website. I am giving you the ingredients here with my method. I only changed a couple of things to suit the ingredients I had in the house….so I am writing it out as I made it. The original recipe calls for chopped almonds, but oddly I was out of whole almonds so I used slivered almonds….& the recipe called for almond or hazelnut flour which I did not have so I just used regular flour….& it tastes great
Preheat oven to 325f Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone sheet. I used a large rimmed cookie sheet. The recipe calls for a 13×18 inch pan but I didn’t have one that size so I guess my bark is a bit thicker then the one in the original recipe…so my cooking time would be longer
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1 /4 cups slivered almonds
1 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup oil
1 large egg white, whisked until foamy
- Put the maple syrup, sugar, water, vanilla & salt into a pot & bring to a boil, stir to dissolve the sugar & salt. Remove from the heat & let cool … recipe says to lukewarm
- In a large bowl, combine the cinnamon, oats, almonds, coconut, flax seeds, sesame seeds & flour
- When the sugar mixture is cool, add the oil & whisk it to combine & cool it down a bit more.
- Add the whisked egg white to the oil sugar/oil mixture. Mix well
- Pour over the dry ingredients & mix to fully combine
- Put the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet & spread it out evenly. Use the bottom of another baking sheet to flatten out the mixture by putting it on top of the spead out mixture & press down firmly
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until dark brown. Smitten Kitchen says to switch the baking sheet around every 15 minutes for even cooking & to open the oven door a few times to let the steam out…
- Once it is cooked, cool on a baking rack.
- Break into pieces once it is cool
- Smitten kitchen says to store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in the fridge for 1 month. I froze mine…..