I used to make this wonderful brunch dish whenever we would have company over for brunch. Sometimes I would make it for pot-luck dinners…it is great on a buffet table. I think it would be perfect for a Mother’s Day breakfast…it is so simple to do the kids can do it …with a bit of help…It can be put together the night before or the same day you want to serve it, just needs to sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes so that it can ‘get together’. This is eggy, cheesy, puffy, crisp around the edges… pretty much perfect for this type of dish!
This recipe is from Norene Gilletz who is my guru! It is in one of her many cookbooks, THE PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR… my book is very tattered but I love it! My definite go-to cookbook! Norene Gilletz has a Facebook page with over 7000 people on it, so I am not the only one that loves her cookbooks!
Here is the The pleasures of your processor: By Norene Gilletzl ink to the cookbook on Amazon
Cheddar Cheese Puff
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
6 slices of white or whole-wheat bread
3 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
2 cup milk
This recipe is to be made in the food processor, but I made it without so am going to give you the directions to make it by hand with the food processor instructions as well
Grease a 7 x 11 baking dish *** NOTE: I MADE A MISTAKE & BAKED THIS IN A DEEP PIE PAN… ( my 7 x 11 pan had a chicken roasting in it…..) WELL IT OVERFLOWED & MADE A MESS OF MY OVEN & TOOK FOREVER TO COOK!!! SO…USE THE RIGHT SIZE OF PAN!!!!
- Tear the bread into bite size pieces & put into a large mixing bowl *** alternately you can process the bread & make bread crumbs….
- Add the grated cheese to the bread crumbs & mix to combine
- Put the bread & cheese into the prepared baking dish
- Drizzle the melted butter overtop of the bread/cheese mixture
- In a bowl big enough to hold the eggs & milk…beat the eggs *** You can mix the eggs, spices & milk together in the food processor if you want
- Add the salt, pepper, & dry mustard. Mix well
- Add the milk & mix together
- Pour over the bread/cheese
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 24 ours!
- Bake in a 350f oven covered for 30 minutes. *** This puffs up during baking but deflates as it cools
- Uncover & continue baking for 30 more minutes brown