This recipe is from Mrs. Carter who lived in Yellowknife and was the mother of my good friend. I learned a lot about cooking and baking from their whole family when I first moved to Yellowknife after getting married. This Gingerbread Cake has a deep intense flavour. I like to serve it with a bit of whipped cream or a caramel sauce is also very nice with this (I usually buy one!) Baked in a square pan so just the right size for a weeknight dessert. It can easily be made dairy-free by swapping out the butter for a vegan margarine. I like to use the one made by Becel.
Here is the recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup molasses *** use a bit of cooking spray on the measuring cup you will use for the molasses, this helps the molasses to slid out easily!
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
Preheat oven to 350F
Grease an 8×8 square baking pan
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water
- Add the water/baking soda to the butter & brown sugar. Mix well. ***If using a mix-master have your speed on low so that the hot water does not splash up and then you can increase the speed as the water gets incorporated into the butter & brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, combining well after each egg
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger together in a bowl
- Gradually add the flour/spice mixture to the batter. Mix well
- Put into the prepared baking dish
- Bake for 35-40 minutes ***insert a cake tester/toothpick and see if it comes out dry to test for