Ever since I can remember I have had a 6 heart cupcake pan. It is difficult to find a cupcake recipe that only makes 6 cupcakes! I don’t need any more now that it is just Murray & I at home. I decided to half a recipe, hoping it would work and it did! The original recipe is from Martha Stewart’s website, Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Gamache Frosting. I will include the link but will post my measurements for 6! I am sure it will make six regular cupcakes, and if you want more, just use the recipe on Martha’s website. I did not use the Whipped Ganache Frosting from the recipe but it looks delicious. I wanted to make my cupcakes in one bowl and one bowl for the icing . so I ended up making more of a glaze..it is very sweet so if you don’t want that just look up a buttercream icing recipe and make the appropriate amount! I sprinkled red sugar on my heart cupcakes but any sprinkles would be nice!
Here is the link to the original recipe
Here is the recipe I used
Chocolate Heart Cupcakes
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1.2 cups icing sugar
5 tsp water
pre-heat oven to 350F
spray your muffin tins or line with cupcake papers
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients together, the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add the beaten egg, water, oil & vanilla to the dry ingredients a mix well .The batter is quite wet
- Fill your muffin tins with the batter
- Bake for approx 30 minutes. Check after 25. Mine needed 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick or cake tester, if it comes out dry the cupcakes are ready.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove from pan to cool completely
- Ice in any way you prefer. I used the a glaze. Just mix the icing sugar and water tougher and then pour over the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with any topping you would like while the glaze is still wet.