This chicken is gently fried & then baked in the oven in a wonderful orange juice & honey sauce…yum!
The recipe is from a booklet I have from Manischewitz…this chicken can be made for Passover with matzo meal or with bread crumbs during the year…or if you are like me, I use matzo meal for bread crumbs all year unless I specifically want to use Panko crumbs, which have a more coarse texture so it gives food a totally different crust then a fine crumb
The chicken is dipped in egg, coated in crumbs, quickly browned then put into a baking dish & the delicious sauce is poured on top of the chicken, then baked in the oven.
Simple ingredients but a really delicious result!
Here is the recipe…from Manischewitz …called Honeyed Chicken
1/4 cup honey
1 cup orange juice
1 cup hot water
2 tbsp water…for the eggs
1 cup bread crumbs of your choice & have more ready as needed…I used more than 1 cup *** for passover you can use matzo meal….
salt & pepper
2 cut up chickens *** I used 1 since that is all I had & I had a lot of sauce which I am good with actually
oil for frying
baking dish big enough to have the chicken in it in a single layer
- Mix the honey, orange juice & hot water together in a measuring cup, mix until the honey dissolves a bit, set aside
- In dish big enough to dip a piece of chicken in… a pie plate works well for this, mix the 2 eggs & water together, I put it beside the stove
- On a plate, season your bread crumbs with salt & pepper & put near the beaten eggs
- Get the baking dish you are going to cook the chicken in close by so you can put the browned chicken pieces into it right from the skillet,
- Get a skillet & heat some oil in it…enough oil or the chicken will burn & not brown
- Now, you are going to coat the chicken & brown it in the skillet, put in as many chicken pieces as your skillet can hold without the skillet being too crowded. I used 1 cut up chicken… I cut the breasts in half so I had 10 pieces of chicken..& I browned them in 2 batches.
- To coat the chicken, dip one piece at a time in the egg…making sure the egg is all over the piece of chicken,,,now coat that piece in the crumbs all over..press the crumbs on if needed
- Put the chicken pieces into the heated skillet, Brown one side, then turn & brown the other side. The chicken gets finished cooking in the oven so don’t worry about cooking the pieces completely..the goal here is just to brown them
- Put the browned pieces into the baking dish
- Once all of the chicken pieces are browned & in the baking dish, pour the honey/orange juice mixture over the chicken
- Cover the baking dish…I used foil & bake in a 325f oven for approx 1 hour until the chicken is completely cooked. ***during that hour, I basted the chicken so that the sauce was over the chicken giving it a lovely flavour
- After the hour, remove the cover & let your chicken brown some & the sauce cook a bit. I like my chicken brown & crispyish so I cooked it for at least another 30 minutes…I turned the oven temperature up to 375f.. until it was cooked to my liking…but you can cook it as long as you like until the chicken is cooked through completely. If you don’t want it brown, you do not have to continue cooking after you uncover it. I only used 1 chicken so I had a lot of sauce which I also wanted to cook down.. *** the chicken is kind of crispy/soft….hard to explain but you can tell by looking at the pictures what I mean!
- Remove the chicken from the oven when it is finished