Lazy Day Cake is a simple white cake with a sweet crispy coconut topping & it is delicious! One of my favourite cake recipes!
I have had this recipe for a very long time. It is just written on a small piece of paper so who knows where I got the recipe from!!
I love this Lazy Dazy Cake. Sweet with a dense texture this vanilla cake & its crispy coconut topping is delicious. You can have a coconut cake without much fuss, no icing to mix, no layers, just a simple no-fuss cake.
Snacking Cakes used to be a very popular years ago. The size & ease of these type of cakes were a big selling point for boxed cake mixes. That is what this cake recipe reminds me of. Mixed by hand & baked in an 8 x 8, baked for 30 minutes this cake is a sure to become a favourite of yours as it is mine!
Here is the recipe
Lazy Dazy Cake
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp milk
1 cup shredded coconut *** I used sweetened coconut which was in my pantry
Preheat oven to 350F
‘.Grease a square 8 x 8 baking pan
- In a small saucepan heat the milk and butter to just about boiling, stir & set aside
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar & vanilla until smooth
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder & salt together
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, mix well
- Now, pour the hot milk/butter mixture into the batter, mixing well to combine throughly
- Pour the batter into the prepared 8×8 cake pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the a cake tester comes out dry!
- While the cake is baking, combine the ingredients for the topping & set aside
- When the cake is baked, take it out of the oven. Spread the topping evenly over the hot cake
- Broil the topping until browned & the sugar is melted , approximately 3 minutes *** the pan should be about 4 inches away from the broiler ***WATCH VERY CLOSELY AS THIS CAN BURN QUICKLY
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack before digging in!