How delicious would you think that Rice Chex cereal coated with a melty mixture of bittersweet chocolate, peanut butter & butter is?? Then this mixture is sprinkled several times with icing sugar?? Well, let me tell you, it is delicious!!
I was hosting a bridal shower a few years ago ( when I first posted this( where there were 29 ladies..I put a bowl of this on the table, with a spoon to scoop this out of the bowl & everyone loved it!
This recipe is perfect to have on hand heading into the holiday season. If you are not having company again this year, you can pack some up into bags to five away to friends if you do not want to eat it all yourself!
Here is the link to the recipe on the Bon Appetite website
Puppy Chow from Bon Appetite
1 box of Rice Chex Cereal
1 1/2 cups of bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups icing sugar *** this is used 1/2 cup at a time but I just had it measured out in a bowl
2 cups M&M’s
2 cups roasted peanuts
2 cups pretzel sticks
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Put the cereal in a really large bowl
- Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, butter & salt together in a double boiler…or a pot sitting in another pot over simmering water, making sure the bottom of the top pot doesn’t touch the water… Stir well until all the ingredients are melted together & smooth
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal & mix well until all of the Rice Chex are coated with the chocolate..be patient..takes a bit of effort!
- The recipe says to transfer the coated cereal to a clean bowl & sift 1/2 cup of icing sugar over the cereal, then toss to mix…***I used a spatula to do this I was not too good at tossing it!! Repeat this 2 more times so that you have put 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar onto the chocolate coated cereal
- Put the cereal onto 2 lined cookie sheet & spread evenly,
- Sift 1/2 cup of icing sugar over both trays…do not mix
- Chill for 2 hours in the fridge or let sit at room temperature overnight *** I put it in the fridge
- After cooling, put this into a bowl, mix it, add the M&M’s, pretzels, & peanuts & the remaining 1/2 cup icing sugar. Mix to coat everything.
- I stored this in a ziplock bag until ready to serve
TIP: Put a spoon into the bowl for serving and have some small bowls handy to scoop the Puppy Chow into! Fingers get kind of messy so it is good to also have some napkins handy too!
2 thoughts on “Puppy Chow”
[…] Puppy Chow […]
I can see how this would be quite a hit!
You must log in to post a comment.